Power Cut

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

guppi

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Tonight had a power cut for 2 hours, was just wondering what to do if it add lasted 4 to 6 hours more, what can I do for future power cuts.?

I guess keep your tank as warm as you can by other means (blankets?) and keep your filter media wet! I did read something about a max time before the water really needs to be pumped through it but I can't think what that was. Lol or indeed how you'd do it!

I'm sure someone will come along who knows though.

I don't know how long you can go without power and make sure you don't have to recycle the tank. However if you are worried about it not having power when that does happen you can invest in a battery backup system that people use for their computers. That way if the power goes out depending on the model you have you will get power to the essentials for roughly 5 minutes plus. So you could let it sit for a while and then run them for a little bit and then repeat.

Something like this.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=770423&Sku=ULT31502

A battery powered air pump with an air stone can be used to circulate the water in a tank for a while. The filter will be fine for 12 hours or more if it stays moist. After the first 12 hours, it would be a good idea to move some water through the filter in some fashion just to avoid an anaerobic situation developing. Heat in a northern winter can become a problem for tropicals in a matter of a few hours depending how well insulated your home is and whether you have another way to heat it. Something as simple as a wood burning stove can keep the fish room warm enough to avoid any serious harm to the fish.

if you can find a battery powered water pump, you could pump water into the filter if you have a hang on back and just do it like that.

I had power out for 12 hours and did nothing but next time would do a water change 20% or so at 8 hours. I had some ammonia build up after 12 but when the power came on and a water change all was back to normal.

Hot water in plastic water bottles to keep the water warm float them in the top. You can use the barbecue or hob if its gas to heat up a saucepan to get the hot water. Little battery air pump put under or in your filter housing to keep a steady flow of water running through it provided your filter is not going to have air get trapped in the top which will cause the pump to burn out when the power returns for lack of water to suck. UPS is the easiest way to get the pump running I wouldn't use it on the heater as most are inefficient and it would be a waste of battery power when the hot water in bottles is more effective.

I'd turn the gas central heating up to as close to 24 degrees as is comfortable.

I've found in a large tank the water temperature takes ages to drop by any significant amount if the room is warm.

I'd turn the gas central heating up to as close to 24 degrees as is comfortable.

I've found in a large tank the water temperature takes ages to drop by any significant amount if the room is warm.

Unfortunately most Gas central heating systems have electric pumps and wouldn't work during a power cut!

Most tropical tanks will be fine for a few hours without any water movement. The first priority is keeping the tank warm, hot water in plastic bottles is a great idea.

I once accidentially forgot to turn my filter back on for 24 hours after a water change with no problems and it is an external so its sealed - didnt even get a blip in my water stats! You can keep the tank temperature up by adding some hot water if you can boil it up on a gas stove. If you dont have a battery air pump just aggitate the water every so often to get oxyegen in.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back