Posts moved from "I'm done" thread

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Another homeschooler here!
Ah man Lavender!
That's awesome!
You probably have the best teacher 😉

I would invite you to the Home School Group on here but I recently found out that 5 is the max amount of people you can have in PMs... Sooooo yah... I had to decline the last person sadly. I felt horrible.

Ah man Lavender!
That's awesome!
You probably have the best teacher 😉

I would invite you to the Home School Group on here but I recently found out that 5 is the max amount of people you can have in PMs... Sooooo yah... I had to decline the last person sadly. I felt horrible.
I doubt it, he's off teaching little 5 year olds how to sing in tune

Just started high school too. I've heard from many people the first year would be very hard, but it's been like 5 weeks in and it has been really relaxing.
I've always wanted a greenhouse! what are you going to keep in the greenhouse?
lucky you! :rofl: I got some AP and honors classes, we started assignments on the 2nd day of school! I want most of my indoors to grow in there as well as edible plants.

Yeah, I specifically asked my parents permission first before I joined because we don't really do social media. I'll be honest, before this thread, I was purposefully trying to keep any indicators of my age a secret because of "stranger danger" kinda thing.

Yeah, I specifically asked my parents permission first before I joined because we don't really do social media. I'll be honest, before this thread, I was purposefully trying to keep any indicators of my age a secret because of "stranger danger" kinda thing.
Yah I did at first as well but then I needed to explain my situation soooo

I love all the young ones on here ❤ they're better behaved and more mature than some of the grown ups! And they're way more fun soooo.....
untitled.jpeg.jpg

The whole stranger danger thing is real, but I suspect there are many legal age adults who can fall prey to predators as easily as many teens. The guy up the road lives online in extremist sites, and if you look at what they say on Monday you know what he'll say on Tuesday. He's 70 years old, and falls for stuff the 14 year olds I taught would laugh at. If you're a critical thinker who is skeptical enough to steer clear of the groomers, the cults, hate and the simple solution stuff, age isn't that big. For sure, you need to learn street smart skills and not get reeled in by dramatic pitches. Experience makes a smart person less gullible, and you have to be sharp as you're gaining experience.
The human brain takes time to fully connect up, and a lot changes in your teens. But in my teens, one of my best friends was in his mid eighties, and I always tried to be a fly on the wall in the world of adults.
A person needs to constantly seek things to think about, whatever their age, and talking with people from other ways of thinking or living is invaluable. Travel, exchanges, breaking out of bubbles, etc - these are crucial things. There are so many things that have proven valuable in my life that I would never have discovered in the narrow confines of the community I grew up in. It isn't for nothing that people with money go away for college.
There is always the question of control in education, both in home schooling and in schools (and life is permanent education in my world view). The world of many teenagers is under serious adult control, and I have seen some very self destructive forms of rebelling against that. I've also seen some brilliant stuff. You have to be able to bounce things off other people to avoid that first option.
Internet access didn't come along til I was around 30, so I don't know what my world view would have been with it. I hope I would have busted out of the easy bubbles and discussed with people of all sorts.
Here, you can read people from all over the English speaking parts of the world, and see what they take for granted and how it may be different from what you've been told is normal. At 15, I thought everyone saw more or less what I saw in the world, and as soon as I traveled, I realized how totally wrong I was. You guys can have a head start on that if you keep your wits about you and avoid the predatory or controlling types. They aren't all online.

Most reactions

Back