Possible gill flukes and white spot? :/

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

StaceyJae

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm looking for some advice please because I'm feeling a little out of my depth.
I had a 58 litre tank with a couple of Sterbai Cory and a few guppies which exploded on the guppy population. I upgraded them to a 125 litre around the start of December last year and cycled the tank by squeezing the media from my older tank and my fry tank and monitored daily for 2 weeks. Never had any ammonia spikes and all test results said it was cycled. I have been careful with feeding even after upping my school of Cory's to a group of 6 everything ran like clockwork. Most fry have grown to a decent size and have been rehomed to my daughter's nursery tank.
I rehomed a friend's adult female guppies due to her shutting her tank down and I didn't quarantine as I saw the fish regularly and all looked healthy in the few previous month's she had owned them. Within the first hour of them being in my tank it was apparent something was really wrong. One was painfully thin with swollen pale gills on the outside and red on the inside and shooting all around the tank only stopping when it seemed exhausted. Another 2 were hiding away with laboured breathing and flashing. I euthenised 2 that looked close to death the next day. All new fish have stringy poo and 1 still has swollen gills, poor appetite, hiding away etc so I treated my tank with sterazin. The same day it seemed that my honey gourami, sick guppy and an 8 week old fry have white spot. I'm due the second dose of sterazin tonight. Am i on the right path?
All fish have stopped flashing and all seem to have perked up apart from the sick female guppy. Any advice from experience would be greatly received :)

Tank stats:
Temp 79
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10-20

Tank inhabitants:
6 Sterbai Cory
3 platy
1 honey gourami
4 female guppies
2 male guppies
2 female juvenile guppies
6 8 week old guppy fry

Water change schedule is 40/125 litres every 5 days.

Hiya, sterazin treats a wide range of aliments so keep it up, when the treatment is over leave it a couple of days and do a 50% water change, the white poo could be bacterial or internal parasites.... but the treatment your using should cover the bacterial and keeping the water clean will sort them out long term.
You're on the right track :)

Ah thanks. I was thinking of running a course of antibacterial meds after the sterazin depending on how the fish were as I don't want to medicate for the sake of it but if sterazin covers most things that great :)

Ah thanks. I was thinking of running a course of antibacterial meds after the sterazin depending on how the fish were as I don't want to medicate for the sake of it but if sterazin covers most things that great :)

I was actually meant to say "should cover 'internal'"
I was up way too early writting this, but good news is keeping the water clean should sort out the bacterial in the long run :) so no need to use another med for this,
What medicines do is effectively poison the water so the nasties die, but the fish are kept alive... This means that the fish are also poisoned but only a little bit, so using too many meds will slowly affect them. What's needed is a good clean environment, just like us, we will surely become sick if we pump our bodies full of something whilst breathing in poisons!
Remember large water changes are your friend unless you have internal worms then you need a med which you have :)

Thanks for the reassurance nic1 and I agree on the water changes. I think they are highly underrated when a fish seems out of sorts. My sick guppy's gills look back to normal and she has ate a few platy fry so hopefully on the mend. I think I have more than enough to keep mine and my daughter's nursery tank populated so when they're all back to 100% I can rehomed the fry and I've no need to add any fish from other sources :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back