Poo Under The Sand?

ellena

Fish Gatherer
Joined
Apr 11, 2009
Messages
2,137
Reaction score
4
Points
38
Location
GB
I'm really struggling to keep up with the rate at which apple snails poo! It's heavy too, so hard to vac up without getting a load of sand. And when you tip it out of the bucket, it mixes with the sand rather than draining out first.
Anyway, today I missed some and sand has landed on top of it when I was refilling, so there's a dark layer of poo under sand.
Is this going to cause problems? Any suggestions for separating the poo and sand?
:thanks:
anyone want 2 very messy apple snails?
 
LOL I understand your problem though snails are not my problem! Not sure how you could separate the two.. with my vac it sucks the sand half way up and the poo continues..

I didn't realise they were that messy!
 
Do you have any cory cats in there? They will sift through the sand and knock the poo up into the water column and the filter will get it.
 
No cories, the tank floor is too small. Maybe I'll try knocking to poo up by stirring or something...
 
MTS snails are your best bet. They will actually eat the poo aswell as turning the sand over as they dig and burrow.
 
excuse my ignorance but mts snails ? what are they ?

and can i house them in a brackish tank without them breeding like wildfire ?
 
Malaysian Trumpet Snails - not sure if they can exist in brackish waters... And you shouldn't be over-run if you don't over feed.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top