pleco fish bred and I don't know what to do..

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Eryk

Reaction score
So today I was cleaning out my canister filter when I later realized that there was pleco fry on the glass.
Anyway, I scooped as many as I saw up and placed them in one of those breeding boxes you put guppies in (which I've bred in the past).

Now, as you'll know, breeding guppies and pleco's are probably quite different so I was kind of thrown into the deep end (pun intended) when I noticed them.

Should I release them back into the rest of the tank? I'm afraid to do so as these were the product of accidental breeding. I had no idea this had happened. I've always seen perfect tank setups where it was still a bit difficult to get them to breed but here was the fry in a tank that hadn't been cleaned in quite a while and had no water tests done whatsoever either. I have a gourami, school of black tetra's, cory, red-tailed shark, and i don't think the rest would matter much apart from a fairly large catfish that had just come with the tank from the previous owner.

What am I to do?

Hello and welcome to the forum! :hi:

So neat! Lol, I’m with @Deanasue, I have no clue what to do!

@Colin_T, please help us!

(Please go vote for the July TOTM contest, by clicking the banner at the top of your screen, Thanks! :thanks:

Most people leave the babies in the main tank so they can feed on the biofilm growing on everything. The biofilm grows on plants, wood, rocks, gravel, etc.
There won't be any food in the breeding net and the fry will probably die if left there.

Your shark might have a go at them but if you have lots of plants and wood in the tank, most of the babies will survive.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back