Platy fry

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tempestuousfury

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
My platy gave birth this morning, some time between 12 AM and 7 AM. Last night I saw that she had gotten very big and her gravid spot was more like a batch. So if your pregnant platy (if you have one) is looking really obese and has a huge spot, she's ready to give birth. When I woke up, there were 10 new fry (I had one earlier from my aunt's aquarium). What should I do with them now? I've got from shrimp-stuff from Petsmart, so when should I feed this to my fry? How long until they are full-sized? What should I do with the extras (how do I go abut selling them)? How long until the fry are ready to breed? (I don't want too many of them, and I want to choose who I pair up)

Depends how many of the 10 fry survive to adult hood, which depends on food, water chemistry etc

Crushed up flake so it's like powder will do. I feed my babies on a product called 'Liquidfry for livebearers' by Interpet for first two weeks then i feed them 'Tetramin Baby Flake' by Interpet. It works for me.

Oh congratulations by the way on the new arrivals.

well u can feed them the shrimp stuff if its brine shrimp eggs u need to hatch them if its full grown brine shrimp dont feed. either put the fry in a breeder net or a separate tank(5gallons is good) or u can feed them powder flake food thats fine too. CONGRATS on the fry

Once your platy is pregnent, how long on average does it take to have their fry?

Six to eight weeks apparantly, i woke up to finding little fry swimming all over the place!!!! i have netted 8 so far but keep picking up more, 1 of my fry is alot bigger than his buddies he must of been there at least a month (last batch perhaps the one that got away)

So i'm going to be busy feeding and changing, as i have 2 pregnant swordtails that are about to bust anytime.

I like being fish mommy.

heard about cooked mashed up egg yolk (hard boiled). do not put too much as it will cloud water. put some water and mash it up till very fine

Thanks for the advice. The fry are doing pretty well, but I don't have enough room for them. The fish that gave birth to these fry died (do you thing it has something to do with: a) that I moved here from aa tank to a net breeder and back or B) the pregnancy itself?) so I plan on replacing her with one of the fry. What should I do with the ones that I can't give away? I've gone to places to sell them, but have been turned down. Should I keep looking for more stores to sell the fry to or just give them to a store?

Try asking for a trade with the lfs

Lfs will only take grown fish

Frys are unlikely to be taken
Let them grow a bit more then send them off :-(

You can also give them to breeding farms (they will give you some credit in return)

I once did that with a goldfish of mine and they gave me a 10g tank in return!!

The goldfish was a 4" Ryukin that was a mix of white, gold, and black

I was a female (I think)

As for the breeder, look in the phone book
They have ads in there

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back