Platy Fry Filter Recommendations?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Hannahpops89

Reaction score
So I'm new to this forum though am a somewhat experienced fish keeper but not so much with fry. I currently have around 60 platy fry (from 2 mothers... Experimenting with colour mixes. Luckily for me my LFS is happy to take them off my hands when 2cm). The platy fry are currently in two 15L nursery tanks (one tank containing approx 1 month old platys, the other 1 approx 1 week). I have to this point simply been carrying out regular water changes alongside natural filtration from moss balls (doubling as a food source in between feeds) and some snails to help with 'hoovering' any leftovers :).

As I'm starting a new job soon I won't have as much time and so I recently purchased a 'xin you' corner filter as I've read on various forums that sponge filters are particularly suited to small fry, but I'm finding this particular one might not be that great and so wondered if anyone had any recommendations? I'm looking to split the fry into more tanks as they get larger and once at 3 months hopefully I will start selling off some of the males (looking to only keep females). cheap recommendations would be appreciated, as I will likely need a few. Thanks :).

Looks like a fairly classical box filter. Nothing really all that wrong with them as simple biological filters. Fairly rubbish mechanical filters though.

Personally, for fry tanks, I'd go with the simple sponge filters, particularly good if you're running an airpump that has multiple outlets (or one powerful enough to put a dual line on that you can valve control) as that keeps the cost down. I've, in my time, had a garage bubbling like a mad scientists lab from all of the air driven filters churning away for fry tanks.

Thanks DrRob, I shall have to do a bit of research. Is there any particular types/shapes/brands you (or anyone else for that matter) would recommend/not recommend?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back