Plants for 10 Gallon Aquarium

crupp29

Reaction score
I am trying to choose plants for my 10 gallon freshwater aquarium. The water I am going to be using for the tank has tested 0ppm for nitrate, nitrite, and chlorine. It tested somewhere between 150-300ppm for hardness and 300 ppm for alkalinity. The pH is somewhere between 7.8-8.4. If possible, I am looking for 2-3 plants that either need to be planted directly into the plant substrate or attached to rock/wood, as well as, a floating plant. Ideally, these plants wont grow to be too big as I am only able to provide a 10 gallon tank, as mentioned above. Also, I have decided that I will be purchasing guppies to put in the tank (I am not sure if this will influence the type of plants I should use, but I thought I should add it just in case). I've read that a full spectrum LED light works best for most plants, so that is what I am planning on getting right now. If there is anything I need to get for the plants in addition to what I might already have, please let me know.

Last edited:

Slaphppy7

Mod Squaderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
What kind of substrate do you have in the tank?

Java fern, java moss, crypts, swords are a few easy-to-grow plants

OP
OP
crupp29

crupp29

Reaction score
I have the CaribSea Eco-Complete Planted Aquarium Substrate (in black) right now.

PheonixKingZ

Fish Guru
Tank of the Month!
Pet of the Month!
Fish of the Month!
Reaction score
I've read that a full spectrum LED light works best for most plants, so that is what I am planning on getting right now. If there is anything I need to get for the plants in addition to what I might already have, please let me know.
I would look into Nicrew lights. I use the Nicrew Classic LED and it’s working wonderfully for my 20g long.

Other than the plants listed in post #2, I would suggest Vals, Anacharis, Anubias, Salvinia, and frogbit.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online