Plants and stunted growth

Ok I will try to be more patient and hope they start growing more in a month or two, I didn't know it could take that long

I still think light is the likely issue. Intensity we have mentioned, there is also spectrum. Most LED, unless it is a unit specifically intended for freshwater planted tanks, will be low in the red wavelength. Red and blue drive photosynthesis, and red is the more important of the two. Faster growing plants (Vallisneria) will be less able to manage than slower growing (Anubias) if there is low red light. Increasing the duration does not compensate for either wavelength (spectrum) or intensity.

Another issue, what is the GH of your source water? I have very soft water, and Vallisne3ria has always been iffy because of that plus my lighting. Flourish Comprehensive Supplement is a very good complete fertilizer, but it is low in the "hard" minerals calcium and magnesium, both of which are macro nutrients but in many water supplies are adequate, and calcium in particular is essential because it is the backbone of cellular growth. When we have the GH we can assess this better.

And before someone suggests it, using more of Flourish Comprehensive is not going to benefit even though you might think that would mean more calcium. The trouble with overdosing is that you theen gett too much of certain other nutrients, and they can cause algae, and plant shutdown of other nutrients due to an excess of "x" or "y". The only way to get at the root of plant problems (pun?) is to ascertain all the factors that make up the balance and then resolve whatever is likely out.

I still think light is the likely issue. Intensity we have mentioned, there is also spectrum. Most LED, unless it is a unit specifically intended for freshwater planted tanks, will be low in the red wavelength. Red and blue drive photosynthesis, and red is the more important of the two. Faster growing plants (Vallisneria) will be less able to manage than slower growing (Anubias) if there is low red light. Increasing the duration does not compensate for either wavelength (spectrum) or intensity.

Another issue, what is the GH of your source water? I have very soft water, and Vallisne3ria has always been iffy because of that plus my lighting. Flourish Comprehensive Supplement is a very good complete fertilizer, but it is low in the "hard" minerals calcium and magnesium, both of which are macro nutrients but in many water supplies are adequate, and calcium in particular is essential because it is the backbone of cellular growth. When we have the GH we can assess this better.

And before someone suggests it, using more of Flourish Comprehensive is not going to benefit even though you might think that would mean more calcium. The trouble with overdosing is that you theen gett too much of certain other nutrients, and they can cause algae, and plant shutdown of other nutrients due to an excess of "x" or "y". The only way to get at the root of plant problems (pun?) is to ascertain all the factors that make up the balance and then resolve whatever is likely out.
The light is supposed to be good for planted tank. I have soft water around 3-6 if I remember well

Interesting on the LED @Byron. I have LED lights in my 10g and my 29g tank. My plants are flourishing. Why is this?

The light is supposed to be good for planted tank. I have soft water around 3-6 if I remember well

Is that 3-6 dGH, or 3-6 ppm? If the former (dGH) that is borderline but with the Flourish Comp should work.

Interesting on the LED @Byron. I have LED lights in my 10g and my 29g tank. My plants are flourishing. Why is this?

If you read my post, I said some (well. "most") LED lacks red. The plant species also factor in of course. I have seen good LED, incredibly good, that has 5500-6500K spectrum. But much of the "standard LED" does not.

Hi, I added substrate today so I needed to uproot my vallisneria and the good new is that it was just doing it's root, they were super long and I found a new runner so I think they will grow well. Bad news is that it will take longer to grow now and also I noticed that a lot of my plants had tiny holes, some with yellow around it. It could be caused by light but for exemple my crypts have a lot of light but they still have the problem. I made a bit more research and what I have looks a lot like potassium defiency. I have closer picture than last time, what do you think? @Byron

Attachments

• 20200515_161651.jpg
    20200515_161651.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 71
  • 20200515_161709.jpg
    20200515_161709.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 82
  • 20200515_161722.jpg
    20200515_161722.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 77
  • 20200515_161659.jpg
    20200515_161659.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 75
Hi, I added substrate today so I needed to uproot my vallisneria and the good new is that it was just doing it's root, they were super long and I found a new runner so I think they will grow well. Bad news is that it will take longer to grow now and also I noticed that a lot of my plants had tiny holes, some with yellow around it. It could be caused by light but for exemple my crypts have a lot of light but they still have the problem. I made a bit more research and what I have looks a lot like potassium defiency. I have closer picture than last time, what do you think? @Byron

I do not fuss over which nutrient is deficient, because I use a comprehensive supplement and there will not be specific deficiencies in a low-tech (natural) planted tank system if you use one of these. Guaranteed. When you get into high tech with mega light and CO2 diffusion, nutrients are much more specific because many sort of make their own.

I was led by others on a forum several years ago to assume potassium deficiency, and iron in another tank, so I bought both. Made absolutely no difference re the potassium. The iron killed my floating Water Sprite and nearly killed by Red Tiger Lotus. Don't mess with "x" or "y" dosing. Several plant issues can have the same symptoms to begin with, and jumping to conclusions rarely helps.

Can't remember, are you using a comprehensive liquid and/or tabs now?

I do not fuss over which nutrient is deficient, because I use a comprehensive supplement and there will not be specific deficiencies in a low-tech (natural) planted tank system if you use one of these. Guaranteed. When you get into high tech with mega light and CO2 diffusion, nutrients are much more specific because many sort of make their own.

I was led by others on a forum several years ago to assume potassium deficiency, and iron in another tank, so I bought both. Made absolutely no difference re the potassium. The iron killed my floating Water Sprite and nearly killed by Red Tiger Lotus. Don't mess with "x" or "y" dosing. Several plant issues can have the same symptoms to begin with, and jumping to conclusions rarely helps.

Can't remember, are you using a comprehensive liquid and/or tabs now?
I am only using root tabs for the vallisneria and use about 5-6 ml of flourish comprehensive.

I am only using root tabs for the vallisneria and use about 5-6 ml of flourish comprehensive.

That's all you need here, though you might want to increase the liquid. I don't have the numbers, but I do basically one dose at the amount on the label, just once a week on the day after the W/C. They say once or twice weekly, I had BBA problems with twice so cut back to one. Each tank is different though.

That's all you need here, though you might want to increase the liquid. I don't have the numbers, but I do basically one dose at the amount on the label, just once a week on the day after the W/C. They say once or twice weekly, I had BBA problems with twice so cut back to one. Each tank is different though.
Ok thank you I will increase the dose and cut back if there is algea

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back