Planting a occupied tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

connorlindeman

Addicted to aquatic plants
5x Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
So I was wondering how I would go about adding a bunch of new live plants and some more gravel into a newly occupied tank. Is that ok, or should I wait a while for the fish to get settled? Can I add all ant once or will that mess up the bio filter? Any help is appreciated

So I was wondering how I would go about adding a bunch of new live plants and some more gravel into a newly occupied tank. Is that ok, or should I wait a while for the fish to get settled? Can I add all ant once or will that mess up the bio filter? Any help is appreciated
Can we have some more info please?

How old is the tank? How big? Stocking? Is it bare bottom right now and if not what substrate does it have?

As above...I like to put my sand/gravel in plastic cup then lower the whole thing into the water and just tip it gently out to where I want it. Or you can do it handful by handful. Don't just pour it in from the surface ...bad idea

Last edited:
It's always a good idea anyway, to get your fish used to your hand in the tank.
You just leave it dangling in there and occasionally move it around. Initially, they'll probably panic, but should soon get used to it.
This habit allows me to perform my aquatic gardening whenever I need to, with little stress amongst the inhabitants.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back