The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JuiceBox52

Passionate about fish and their care
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
So I ordered live plants for my 55 gallon tank, this is my first time with live plants so I am nervous and excited!
I want to pick all of the neons peices of gravel out of my black gravel and just have black. Shows how bored I am lol. How would you suggest going about that? Just scoop the gravel out? Do I need to remove the fish?
I will be posting pics when I get the plants and driftwood and keep this thread updated throughout the whole thing :)

I usually scoop gravel with a net and leave the fish in it. However, if you don't feel comfortable doing that, then you can remove the fish.

I separated coloured gravel years ago when I got sick of the multi-coloured stuff. I used a glass table and a popstick with the end cut to a point. I put a thin layer of gravel on the table and used the popstick to separate the different colours into piles. It took a few weeks but I eventually separated it all.

Make sure the gravel is clean and dry before doing this.

Last edited:
Word of advice: Once you got your plants and planted them, you may notice that the plant leaves are melting or dying. Do not worry as it is normal for some plants to have their leaves melt in a new environment. It is a way of how plants acclimate to their surroundings. The plant that is notorious for having their leaves melt in a new environment is Cryptocoryne. However, it will bounce back over time.

Word of advice: Once you got your plants and planted them, you may notice that the plant leaves are melting or dying. Do not worry as it is normal for some plants to have their leaves melt in a new environment. It is a way of how plants acclimate to their surroundings. The plant that is notorious for having their leaves melt in a new environment is Cryptocoryne. However, it will bounce back over time.
Great! Thanks I probably would have panicked had I not known

No problem and good luck! And oh, the same could be said if you bought emersed grown plants and submerged them in water.
Okay :) these ones said they were grown submerged. I would have like to buy more but am out of spending money until I sell more custom shoes. Kind of frustrated that I cant do any other work until then but that's ok. I may consider selling my bracelets and greeting cards as well just so I can get more fish stuff lol

Okay :) these ones said they were grown submerged. I would have like to buy more but am out of spending money until I sell more custom shoes. Kind of frustrated that I cant do any other work until then but that's ok. I may consider selling my bracelets and greeting cards as well just so I can get more fish stuff lol
Or you could just propagate the plants that you bought. ;)

Or you could propagate the plants that you bought. ;)
I plan to do that with some but I also want to get a few more types, anarchis and java moss at least.
There is an awesome tank rack on craigslist with three 30gs and one 40g and I would love to get it and fill it with plants as well

Okay I am about to start the tedious task of separating the colors from the black in my gravel :)

Tedious and very boring, I suggest putting on some of your favorite music to help the time go by.
Yup! Music is amazing. One good thing about the lockdown (apart from the effect social distancing has on the cases) is that my family is bored too so they are actually wanting to help :rofl:

Jamming to beach boys and Herman's hermits while sorting lol.
4 of my family members came and pulled up a chair and started sorting with me. Nobody even asked why lol. Shows how bless everyone is

Edit. Bored I meant bored not bless

Last edited:
Wow! My brothers asked if they could sit at our outdoor table in the rain and sort gravel

My plants got here way before expected.
I didnt get the notification and they were sitting in my mailbox for 2 days. All but one look really healthy.

The problem is I havent bought the sand yet, and wont be able to for another day or 2.... I put them in a bucket of dechlorinate water. Will they be fine in that?

I'll post a pic of the unhealthy plant

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back