Planted tank journey

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Do you have an ACE Hardware near you? They sell 50lbs of PFS for like $12.
Its not too expensive, $8... just more than $2 a bag lol

Just put them in a quarantine tank and give them lots of light and fertiliser. They will be fine floating around for a few days as long as they get light.

The Crypt in the pot can stay in the pot for a few weeks after it has been put into the tank. This gives the plant a chance to adapt to the new environment before you damage the roots when you plant it in the substrate.

The sword plant has a crappy little root system and that is a concern.

Just put them in a quarantine tank and give them lots of light and fertiliser. They will be fine floating around for a few days as long as they get light.

The Crypt in the pot can stay in the pot for a few weeks after it has been put into the tank. This gives the plant a chance to adapt to the new environment before you damage the roots when you plant it in the substrate.

The sword plant has a crappy little root system and that is a concern.
Is there any way to help with its roots and give it a better chance?

So my local feed store has play sand.... kind of weird but I am definitely not complaining. After my dad gets off work I should be able to go get some

If the roots are long, then you can trim half of it out with a scissor.
I thought he was meaning the roots were short?

I am floating several plants right now. I figuer I can give them plenty of plant food and not worry about the fish or shrimps and they get plenty of sunshine too.

I thought he was meaning the roots were short?
I did mean short roots. The root system on the sword plant is crap and the plant should not have been sent out like that.

There isn't much you can do about the short roots apart from provide the plant with good conditions and hope it settles in and survives.

I did mean short roots. The root system on the sword plant is crap and the plant should not have been sent out like that.

There isn't much you can do about the short roots apart from provide the plant with good conditions and hope it settles in and survives.
So I read that they trimmed the roots because it had to be inspected by the USDA for bloodworm? That dosent even make sense to me

If the plant was grown in the US and sent to someone in the US, it shouldn't need inspecting unless your state specifically says it has to. But having said that, there is no reason to cut the roots like that to inspect them. And they didn't cut the roots on the Crypt, they left that alone in the grow wool, so if they were trimming roots to make it easier to inspect, they should have done the crypt and all the plants you got.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back