Plant food/supplement

Wyld-Fyre

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi,

Has anyone ever used a land-based plant food product for aquatic water plants?

I have a product called 'Baby Bio' with which I'm thinking of trying out. The labels has not said anything about it being chemically unsuitable for water plants, animals, or human skin.

Before I give this a go, I'd like to know if anyone had tried a similar thing to what I'm proposing, and whether it was successful or not.

I'd bet my house it'll kill your fish :crazy:

I wouldn't risk it. Get yourself some stuff made by Kent, that will do the job ;)

Its so good to be a part of this forum. You get that great pool of experiences and knowledge. Thanks guys! :lol:

I didn't want to risk trying this out until I'd learnt more. I wonder. Would it work if it was only a planted, and fishless, tank? In other words to get my plants to grow bigger, better and reproduce? :)

You'll probably find that fertilisers for terrestrial plants are rich in Nitrogen, Ammonium salts probably. In the tank, the fish provide the nitrogen, in a flower pot, it is not being generated and hence, needs adding.

Bad idea.

Okay. Looks like my new Hebe 'Katrine' will get it all. Beautiful plant. Will attach a picture later on. :)

Can I bet my motor car that most land-based plant food product work just fine?? for the house that is..

the only thing you must look out for is Ammonium salts, but the rest might just cause a algae bloom if used wrongly..

I used plant sticks for roses N P K, 5 1 3 and work almost to well, but if the stick uprooted, my water turns green within a day or two..

If it were to be considered, you'd have to also take into close consideration what sort of plant food it is as the NPK ratio's vary so much for regular fertilizer's. If you can think of a ratio, it probably exists (20-20-20, 10-30-20, 5-15-5, 10-10-60, etc...........). You'd also have to cut the dose back to a fraction. All fertilizers I've seen have a guaranteed analysis on the side label. You could always post it and perhaps someone with a better understanding of the analysis regarding a planted tank could offer some more insight....

Colin

uhm 20-20-20 = 1-1-1
10-30-20 = 1-3-2

I even add this to all my planted tank, under the gravel..

Attachments

• post_10_1083842980.jpg
    post_10_1083842980.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 82
>>> even add this to all my planted tank, under the gravel

I don't see any nitrogen sources listed there, so would not hesitate to do the same. The point really is when someone says "land-based plant food product", you've got to be very careful. That stuff even has a water lily on the packet!

R10.00, not a bad deal by the way!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back