Picking Up My 3Rd Tank Today - Q&a

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Sophie

Fish Herder
Reaction score
So with Pets at Home having a 20% off all tanks this Friday - Monday, and I already get 20% off.. I thought I'd get another tank while I could so I've ordered the Fluval Roma 200 which is the biggest one they do.

The question is, if I were to put my 6 Clown Loaches (tiny) into it, would I be able to get 2 small Oscars of similar sizing to the Clowns in there with them, without any risk of the Oscars eating them? Or are they not a good combo to mix?

I will be upgrading (of course) within the year for the Oscars so they won't be in there for long, just while I move house then can get one especially built.

I was concerned that as the Oscars out grow the Clowns in growth rate, would they then get peckish if they weren't to be now?

Also would an FX6 be too much to have on a 200L? Even on minimum flow? Would it blow them away? :3

Lastly, I've read a lot about it being best just to get two Oscars from the same group, or just one than anymore? Pairs are good if they grow up together?

x

Iv got a roma 200 its a great tank i have a fluval u4 filter in myn and its pretty powerful my 3 clown loaches are fine with it i know someone who keeps them together and have had no problems just keep an eye on them just incase

Ginge2010 said:
Iv got a roma 200 its a great tank i have a fluval u4 filter in myn and its pretty powerful my 3 clown loaches are fine with it i know someone who keeps them together and have had no problems just keep an eye on them just incase

Yeah, just concerned as I've seen what Oscars are like when one of my silly LFS put in some small Rams with their Oscars upon delivery. I walked in to see lots of Oscars with fish hanging out their mouths. Anything that fits I've been told.. I love my Clown Loaches a lot so I really don't want them to be dinner! I suppose it would help if I provided lots of hiding places for them? I intend on adding tubes and such for them to hide.

Yeah just put some hiding places in and probably some plants should be ok i find some lfs arent very educated when it comes to fish the one i get myn from are very good and helpful if you do have problems always got the option of putting the clowns or oscars in another tank

The clown loaches and oscars are all going to need very large tanks pretty soon. If they don't get on, then you'd need two large tanks to accomodate them as they should, talking a 6x2x2 minimum for the clown loaches alone and being very active fish, they need to be kept even when young in a bigger tank then a Fluval roma 200.
Also, the oscars will grow way faster than the clowns so an accident isn't out of the question in a few months time.

Aye, I might be willing to risk it, but only if I had somewhere to move the clowns to if the oscars decided that loach looked tasty. Maybe let the clowns grow on a bit and delay the oscars, they'd probably be fine with adults in a big enough tank.

snazy said:
The clown loaches and oscars are all going to need very large tanks pretty soon. If they don't get on, then you'd need two large tanks to accomodate them as they should, talking a 6x2x2 minimum for the clown loaches alone and being very active fish, they need to be kept even when young in a bigger tank then a Fluval roma 200.
Also, the oscars will grow way faster than the clowns so an accident isn't out of the question in a few months time.

Yeah I know, I've got it all in hand :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back