Photography...

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

BadBadger

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Any tips on getting good pictures. I have a 12 mega pixel digital SLR but im not getting very good pictures :(

Cheers

Any tips on getting good pictures. I have a 12 mega pixel digital SLR but im not getting very good pictures :(

Cheers
Whats the problem?

2 minutes will get a picture up and you can see for ya self :)

That's probably the best idea actually.Then people can tell you where you're going wrong.

No flash....
DSCF1559.jpg

Flash... Looks better but normally get the reflection off the glass :(
DSCF1560.jpg

its probably the lighting, also what kind of SLR is it?
also if your doing close ups you will need the settings on macros which macros may need a tripod

Don't use the flash but have tank light on. Use aperture priority with a large aperture

Result =
DSC_0013.jpg

Don't use the flash but have tank light on. Use aperture priority with a large aperture
Ok will have a mess aroung with it... will post results :)

Thanks

and yeah... thats the result i was hoping for

Hi,

Try, keeping the flash off and changing the exposure to get the correct brightness.

If you have an SLR the focus distance is probably much further away than a compact, try taking a step back and focusing in on the fish from a distance.

You will probably get better results using manual focus rather than auto.

Also always take photos through glass at an angle and watch out for reflections in the glass.

Good luck.

Plecc.

Make sure your ISO is on the lowest setting for a sharper picture, select macro mode, use a tripod if necessary and adjust shutter speed accordingly.
All depends on the light in the room.

Plus I've only ever taken pictures of cars, not moving fish. :)

DSCF1565.jpg

Got it looking a bit better, but will have to keep trying different settings.

Thanks for all replies. Very helpful :)

... Thoroughly read the manual first.DSLR's take a lot of getting used to apparently.

... Thoroughly read the manual first.DSLR's take a lot of getting used to apparently.

Ive had the camera for a year or so but have only used it for taking pictures of bands (which is alot easier haha).

Im guessing the hardest thing is getting the fish to stay still? haha

Cheers

Also, for fast moving fish, use a remote flash positioned above the tank. This way you'll get crisp clear pictures of any fast movers. For close up shots use a good quality macro lens. The kit lens is decent for photography in the air ie: portraits, outdoor shots etc.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back