Ph Adjusting Disgust

ziouxpioux

New Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2009
Messages
57
Reaction score
0
Points
0
My tap water ph is quite high as is the GH. I acquired a GH lowering pillow, ran that in my 125 til it was down to 75. So then I started using the PH buffer down. Got it to neutral PH 7.0 gradually. Well I thot my fish were happy happy, no amonia, no nitrites, tho the nitrates were up a touch, 5.0 so did a partial water change, adjusted the PH and presumed all was fine. A few short days later after a nice collection of rain water that always tests no amonia, no nitrites, no nitrates and 6.0 PH I thot, let me check the nitrates and such again and perhaps do a small water exchange. Before I did the exchange my tank PH was topping off the chart bright blue. Where did that come from??? My rock is very old used it for years. I have aquarium gravel substrate - purchased and over a year old in usage. I have two nice pieces of wood, some old oak leaves. So, I did an exchange of water using only the collected tested, rain water.

I do believe I am going to quit using all tap water and try to save enough rain water to keep my fresh water tanks happy. I am disgusted with chemicals and adjusting this and that. In order to be able to put proper chemistry water into my tanks I would need a large holding tank to pre-adjust all water first and I do not have the space nor money to set up such a system. So, I am probably missing somethng but am disgusted. OH I had added 2 gals of tap water to the tank just to top off after I had PH correct. If just 2 gals in a 125 gal tank throws it off tht much. YOWSER> and no, I can not afford RO device nor buying RO water. sigh :grr: Karen

PS I do live in Florida so usually collecting rain water is not a problem.
 
Be careful with rainwater. You need to be extremely cautious no contaminants get into it. Maybe your rock is leeching calcium into the water? Is the pH in your tank higher then your tap, or are they the same? What are you water stats, straight tap water shouldn't be a problem tbh.
 
Be careful with rainwater. You need to be extremely cautious no contaminants get into it. Maybe your rock is leeching calcium into the water? Is the pH in your tank higher then your tap, or are they the same? What are you water stats, straight tap water shouldn't be a problem tbh.
I have tested my tap water, (well) Forida is on lime stone thus the high GH and PH. KH is at the top of charts too. All tests on my tap water are at the top of the charts so I know the problem is with my tap water. As to contaminates in my rain water, not a problem as I do not use pesticides at all, the water is freshly collected, my gold fish pond outside gets filled and over flows with heavy rain water and those fish are fine. I will monitor closely the PH just in case as you say, it might be my nice gorgous rock. That would be the only cause in the tank and you could be correct there. Good point. It does not matter how long I have used that rock in the tank. You opened an avenue of possibilty with it. Thanx. Karen
 
With a high mineral content on tap water and almost pure distilled water chemistry on rain water, I would use a blend to get the desired water hardness. When I test rain water, it is cleaner, as far as mineral content, than the RO water from a home RO unit. The pH is not a problem for many fish but water mineral content can be a real problem for some fish. You cannot use pure rain water because it does not contain enough minerals for most fish to live in it. Even the South American fish with a reputation for liking very soft water have some trouble at less than 10 ppm of total dissolved solids. Rain water here usually tests between 6 and 8 ppm of TDS.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top