Pet store customers (animals in general)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

How I can usually guess:
  • Are the carpets clean?
  • Are the tiles clean?
  • Does the place smell fresh?
  • Do their tanks look clean?
  • Do the animals look as happy to be as expected?
These are just a couple of things you can ask yourself. Also, see if the staff is friendly. :)

I will make it a short story- There was an illegal puppy mill operating out of an old farm. There was close to 800 small dogs and puppies there. They had 2-3 puppies/dogs per metal cage with little to no room and stacked on top of each other 4-5 cages high. When a dog would pee or crap it fell on the dogs below. They would hose them down in the morning. During the day they had them in a pen outside. I helped the local human society take the dogs, The owners were arrested. I did animal recuses at the time but already had 2 rescue dogs and 2 rescue cats at home or I would have taken a puppy they were very cute.

I will make it a short story- There was an illegal puppy mill operating out of an old farm. There was close to 800 small dogs and puppies there. They had 2-3 puppies/dogs per metal cage with little to no room and stacked on top of each other 4-5 cages high. When a dog would pee or crap it fell on the dogs below. They would hose them down in the morning. During the day they had them in a pen outside. I helped the local human society take the dogs, The owners were arrested. I did animal recuses at the time but already had 2 rescue dogs and 2 rescue cats at home or I would have taken a puppy they were very cute.
That is sickening. Glad you were able to help. They deserved to be arrested

Some people think its irresponsible to own many pets. It's only wrong if you cant provide the proper care.
I agree with you to a degree, but when it comes to people keeping lots of cats together, that is bad for the animals. Cats are highly territorial and having dozens in a small house leads to constant stress and fights. It eventually goes pair shaped and they start killing each other.

I agree with you to a degree, but when it comes to people keeping lots of cats together, that is bad for the animals. Cats are highly territorial and having dozens in a small house leads to constant stress and fights. It eventually goes pair shaped and they start killing each other.
That is included with proper care. Cats are mainly solitary animals, so if you are not keeping that in mind, you are likely not providing them with proper care

Sorry, he did take good care of his cats while he was alive. I will keep the story about the puppy mill to myself :eek:
They used to put all the puppies in the mill and grind them into flour. Then bag them up and sell them as puppy powder :)

------------------
How I can usually guess:
  • Are the carpets clean?
  • Are the tiles clean?
  • Does the place smell fresh?
  • Do their tanks look clean?
  • Do the animals look as happy to be as expected?
No pet shop smells fresh in the morning.
There were days I would go in and open the front door, turn around run out into the carpark and throw up. Puppies covered in poop, damn that stinks.

We would open up the front and back doors and turn the air-conditioner on (without the cooling) just to blow some air through the shop. After 5 minutes we would go in and start cleaning.

They used to put all the puppies in the mill and grind them into flour. Then bag them up and sell them as puppy powder :)
I sure hope not! Although when my dad was a teacher in china he was fed dog unknowingly. He said he wouldn't try it so they brought him a different dish and said it wasn't so he ate it and then they told him...

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but what do you do if you're at a store that sells pet supplies and someone is getting things for their animal that you know aren't safe? For example, when I was at the store near hamster supplies, I was just thinking about how they shouldn't even sell pine or cedar bedding (They're bad for hamsters, but I'm not sure about other animals) When someone came and got two bags of pine bedding. I didn't say anything. Of course, there could be animals that it's safe for and she was getting it for one of them, but there are plenty of people who get unsafe products for their pets. Another time someone was getting a betta from aforementioned store, and got the tank at the same time. If that wasn't bad enough it was a 1/2 gallon betta view. Again I didn't say anthing.
So, sorry that was so long winded but what do you do in those situations? It's none of my buisness what others get for their pets but I still feel bad when I don't say anything.
I feel this way all the time. My BFs family has many pets at their house: dogs cats rabbits hamsters fish lizards. My BF and I have a hamster and two geckos together and of course I do as much research as possible to make sure ours get the best care possible however I wish I could say the same for his little sisters three or four poor bettas that live in vases and their three rabbits who are never fed hay and get ice berg lettuce as their veggies not even on a regular basis (I shuttered as I wrote that). I have two guinea pigs which require similar care to rabbits so I know the importance of hay and the correct veggies daily for them. Once I mentioned it to my boyfriend and my boyfriend mentions it to his mother who threw a complete fit and was horrified that he did not believe she was caring for her animals properly... it bothers me so much that they do not know proper animal care but in their hearts they believe they are doing what’s right. It’s a tough call to make on whether or not you should say anything.

I feel this way all the time. My BFs family has many pets at their house: dogs cats rabbits hamsters fish lizards. My BF and I have a hamster and two geckos together and of course I do as much research as possible to make sure ours get the best care possible however I wish I could say the same for his little sisters three or four poor bettas that live in vases and their three rabbits who are never fed hay and get ice berg lettuce as their veggies not even on a regular basis (I shuttered as I wrote that). I have two guinea pigs which require similar care to rabbits so I know the importance of hay and the correct veggies daily for them. Once I mentioned it to my boyfriend and my boyfriend mentions it to his mother who threw a complete fit and was horrified that he did not believe she was caring for her animals properly... it bothers me so much that they do not know proper animal care but in their hearts they believe they are doing what’s right. It’s a tough call to make on whether or not you should say anything.
It really is a tough call. I think you should say something at first, if it goes well keep encouraging them to give better care, if it dosent then leave it be. If you know the person well maybe bring it up a few more times.

It really is a tough call. I think you should say something at first, if it goes well keep encouraging them to give better care, if it dosent then leave it be. If you know the person well maybe bring it up a few more times.
My BFs mother is a very nice person and she truly believes she is taking good care of all these animals but I don’t feel I am close enough with her to sort of bring up that she shoudnnt feed her rabbits ice berg lettuce and instead maybe offer them some parsley or something or that her daughters bettas each need a lot of care. Although at times it is very hard for me to keep my mouth shut. I wouldn’t be surprised if they day comes and I just say what I gotta say. I have a much bigger heart for animals than people ‍♀️

My BFs mother is a very nice person and she truly believes she is taking good care of all these animals but I don’t feel I am close enough with her to sort of bring up that she shoudnnt feed her rabbits ice berg lettuce and instead maybe offer them some parsley or something or that her daughters bettas each need a lot of care. Although at times it is very hard for me to keep my mouth shut. I wouldn’t be surprised if they day comes and I just say what I gotta say. I have a much bigger heart for animals than people ‍♀
Maybe try having your boyfriend talk to her? Not trying to call you out or say your not doing enough lol. It just annoys me when people neglect their animals, I dont know if it annoys me more when they truly believe they are doing the right thing or when its deliberate

I finally convinced my daughter that p-land is no good. We went there recently and she was looking at a ferret and a store owner tried to give her tips on keeping “rodents “, um yeah so not a rodent
Definitely not a rodent.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back