Pet store customers (animals in general)

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Here There be Dragons

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but what do you do if you're at a store that sells pet supplies and someone is getting things for their animal that you know aren't safe? For example, when I was at the store near hamster supplies, I was just thinking about how they shouldn't even sell pine or cedar bedding (They're bad for hamsters, but I'm not sure about other animals) When someone came and got two bags of pine bedding. I didn't say anything. Of course, there could be animals that it's safe for and she was getting it for one of them, but there are plenty of people who get unsafe products for their pets. Another time someone was getting a betta from aforementioned store, and got the tank at the same time. If that wasn't bad enough it was a 1/2 gallon betta view. Again I didn't say anthing.
So, sorry that was so long winded but what do you do in those situations? It's none of my buisness what others get for their pets but I still feel bad when I don't say anything.

@Here There be Dragons , you know what ? I feel like that all the time but people can be pretty thin skinned and they really do believe in their heart of hearts that they are doing the right thing. So, I bite my tongue and keep quiet. Maybe before you jump on them, make some compliment about their new pet and maybe say something about your pet. The Betta in the 1//2 gallon Betta View ? You could have told a white lie and said you had that same set up when you got your Betta but when you got him a 5 gallon he really came alive and started doing better and you wished you would have done it to start. People are funny these days. Don't get shot over it.

I feel that way. This last time I really couldn't keep my mouth shut! The pet store employee told this man and his 8? Year old son that they could have 8 bala sharks in a ten gallon!

That's a clear cut case of stupid and you were right on to call baloney on that.
Yup! I dont understand... even the incorrect minimum tablet size on the price tag said 30 gallons

oof. How'd that go?
Well he was like "wow! You are really knowledgable about fish. What fish would you recommend?" And I helped him pick out some ghost shrimp and neon tetras, which are not great in a 10g but still better than 8 balas! He wanted guppies but I explained water parameters and different fish needed hard vs soft water etc and he decided against it.
The manager who was helping him with the fish on the other hand.... oooof she was mad. She kept going on about how long shes been keeping fish and how many tanks she has and why would you listen to a young person who is pretending to know things she actually knows nothing about... got some glares there :)

That deal with the Bala Sharks that @JuiceBox52 is talking about is a whole 'nother thing. That correct action saved a Father from disappointing his son , preserved a son's love for his Father and squared away an inept employee. That's totally different from talking to another customer.

That deal with the Bala Sharks that @JuiceBox52 is talking about is a whole 'nother thing. That correct action saved a Father from disappointing his son , preserved a son's love for his Father and squared away an inept employee. That's totally different from talking to another customer.
That's very true

Of course. But I'm glad it went so well.

Of course. But I'm glad it went so well.
One time I talked another customer out of buying pellets for her sugar gliders. Pellets are really bad for them because the roof of their mouths are really soft and the pellets with shred the gums. I explained the proper diet of sugar glider colonies In the wild and i hope she listened:)

@JuiceBox52 do they shower you with rose petals and accolades when you go in there now ? I'm guessing not.
Nope lol I used to go there when the main fish area employee was really knowledgable but I tend to avoid it now. Sometimes I'll ask then really obvious questions just hear their stupid answers and correct them. Probably rude, but I do debate and enjoy it so why not make them squirm?

Most reactions

trending

Back