Overfeeding Help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JBlacksmith

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I added a three spot gourami to my tank, and am experiencing some issues with feeding. If I put enough food in so everyone else gets fed, she swims around frantically eating more than she should. If I put less food in, she eats most of it before everyone else gets any. Does anyone have any advice or tips for what I could do to make sure everyone gets fed without polluting the tank?

On a somewhat unrelated note, I have never had a fish that grows bigger than two inches (besides my bristlenose) so I was wondering how to tell if her added biomass has pushed my stocking capacity to the limit?

Hmmmmm. I'm no expert so maybe someone else will put their two cents in and be of more help but depending on what other fish you have in the tank maybe you can release the food at different levels so the gourami can be distracted by her food and the other fish can get some too.
I have no clue about your other question but I hope that helped. Cheers.

Perhaps feeding on seperate sides of the tank? I have a similar issue with my angel and rummynoses but I think they get fed enough. What is your tank size and stocking?

If you can get floating food for the gourami, that should help out. Maybe get an eye dropper for the other fish after you've dropped the gourami food?

Ninjouzata said:
Perhaps feeding on seperate sides of the tank? I have a similar issue with my angel and rummynoses but I think they get fed enough. What is your tank size and stocking?

I have a 38 gallon (1.5'h x 1'w x 3'l) with 7 neon tetras, 7 harlequin rasboras, 1 bristlenose, and the 1 gourami

I do the two hand feeding method, right hand sprinkles so it floats on the right hand side of the tank, the left hand puts food below the water surface and let's go on the left hand side of the tank, works for me

if feeding flakes i have it pinched between my fingers then swish it around the whole length of the tank and done; everyone spreads out.  for pellets i sprinkle the whole length of the tank (not huge amount) or throw it (any food type) into the current of the filter and it quickly spreads it.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back