April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Kristen12151992

Reaction score
Around 5 years ago I rescued these 3 goldfish. They were super tiny, and in that time Iā€™ve upgraded them from a 2 gallon tank, to 10, 29, and now 60. Iā€™m running a Fluval fx4 on the tank. I do weekly or large bi-weekly water changes. I always considered them to be thriving as they continue to grow and I figured Iā€™d have to upgrade their tank again in the next year or so.

A few years ago, one of them developed a small bump on his side. As he got bigger, so did the bump. He then started to develop another one. I chalked them up to being tumors, until this morning, when I noticed that the large one had ruptured open. I immediately dosed the tank with stress guard in the meantime.

What type of abscess does this look like and what can I do to help this poor guy?! How do I know whether it is in fact a tumor or something else, like bacterial?

Apparently my photos are too large to post here and Iā€™m not sure how to resize them, so please view this link for the photos: https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/open-abscess-on-goldfish.426881/#post-4321195

I believe itā€™s Lymphocystis. One if my goldfish has it too. There is no cure but the fish can still have a good life. Keep him as stress free as possible as stress will cause a bigger outbreak. The cyst do pop on occasion but will usually come back. Keep the water very clean. I swab the cyst with methylene blue when it pops. (I believe you posted on another forum. I answered there too). :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back