Oh God, More Babies.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

LatexRevolver

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I....have no clue what fish is having babies. I came home from work to ANOTHER baby aside from the one that's survived from the Molly's batch...and I don't know who this one belongs to. It's smaller than the one that's already there, and this one is almost see through.

None of my fishies looked pregnant though and none of them have been acting weird. Help?

Exactly what fish do you have; which species and how many of each?

I have seven in a 20 gal tank, 8 if you include the single surviving fry from a week ago.

1 female dalmation molly, she's the mama of the single fry. Got her two weeks ago.
2 female orange platies, got them two weeks ago.
1 male orange platy, got him two weeks ago.
1 female sunburst platy, got her 1 week ago.
And two male guppies, got them a week ago.

It's most likely from the molly. If the molly dropped fry recently, she could have dropped more that you just didn't notice. You may consider upgrading a tank pretty soon. Prepare to be absolutely overloaded in a matter of weeks.

Well, it could be any of those, tbh (well, not the males, obviously, lol!).

Younger females might not get very big and often have only a few fry, so the mother might not have looked pregnant.

All livebearer fry look pretty much alike, so you probably won't be able to tell the species until it's grown a bit.

attibones said:
It's most likely from the molly. If the molly dropped fry recently, she could have dropped more that you just didn't notice. You may consider upgrading a tank pretty soon. Prepare to be absolutely overloaded in a matter of weeks.
The only reason I don't think it's hers is because I saw several of hers , what they looked like and what not and this one doesn't match the profile at all. It's smaller than any of hers was and while this one is completely see  through, all the others were obviously at least slightly speckled.

Even if it isn't the molly's, platy fry require pretty much the same stuff, so you should be okay. 

There will be soon more on the way with the male platy in the tank. LOL

Can male guppys breed with female mollies as I've forgot?
I know male guppys can't mate with females platys.

From what I've been looking at, guppies and mollies can breed.  Also, I just got my little breeder to put my baby in to keep it safe. I figured if it's lasted this long in a tank full of scary big fishies that might eat it, it deserves a fighting chance, y'know?

I haven't been able to find that other one yet, but when I do, it's going in the breeder as well.

I'm also curious to see if anyone has any answers. I treat my fish once every few days with frozen food, either shrimp, bloodworms or veggies and they all love the bloodworms the most. The problem is, Mirage, one of my guppies--he always goes after the BIGGEST one he can and tries to scarf it down. I even broke some of them up this time so that they'd be smaller, yet he always finds a way to get the most massive worm and I'm afraid he's gonna hurt himself because it either hangs out of his mouth till another fish breaks it or I get him to spit it out, or he packs it in and he looks so swollen he might explode.

I used to chop them up with a pair of scissors. Wait till the fry have them in there mouths they look bigger than them. LOL.
They should be fine chopped up into small pieces. Just don't over feed them as they can cause bloat.

Good luck with the fry. There so cute.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back