Odd behaviour in Loaches

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sauvagii

Reaction score
Hey there,

I've got 4 loaches in my main community tank - two botia loachata and two botia striata.

The loachata today changed colour to an almost silver, and most of their patter disappeared. They were chasing each other around in a little circle, as if they were either fighting or courting in some way. The striata both joined in, but they never changed colour. Any suggestions what this may have been?

The colour changed back within 30 minutes.

:/

Botia lohachata lose their pattern and colouring when threatening other other fish that come into their territory,they are extremely aggressive species that should be kept singularlyand not with other bottom dwelling fish,especialy other botia/loach species.These bursts of aggresivness will become more frequent as the fish mature and injuries can be inflicted on the threatened fish by the sharp spines around the loaches eyes,i would advise taking at least one of the botia lohachata back to the shop and replacing it with another stratia which prefer to be kept in largish groups and are much more peaceful. :D

Well that does surprise me actually. They have been living together for 6 months, and its the first sign of that happening. There's never been any discernable aggression towards any other fish in the tank - the tankmates are a pair of krib, a pair of A.thomasi, honey, dwarf and pearl gouramies (pair of each), assorted danios, cherry barbs and some neons, not to mention a few others.

Everything I read about loachata suggested it was very social and not a problem species....oh well :S

Guess I'll just have to keep an eye on it then.

Cheers

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back