observations about weather loaches

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

GraemeK

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I found these observations about weather loaches on a loach site!

* They occasionally dart to the surface for a gulp of air.
* They swim in erract circles when the barometric pressure or temperature changes sharply.
* They will jump out of your tank if you have no cover.
* One of mine got out and fell onto shag carpet and wasn't found for three days. He survived the ordeal by secrecting a thick mucous that kept him moist .

i never seen that last observation before? anyone else experienced it? :/

I am not sure how commonly weather loaches are kept hopefully someone out of the 947 members here has one but I wouldn't be sure!! :)

Not kept the loaches myself but I did find this which I read over when looking for the lifespan of weatherloaches for you earlier:

Its hardy nature makes it a beginners dream fish. In fact it's almost impossible to kill one, as many hobbyists can testify to with stories of how their loach jumped out of the tank and survived overnight without any ill effects.

The ability of the weather loach to thrive in less than optimal situations dates back to its natural habitat in China and Japan. There they live in shallow rivers, paddies, and even ditches. Because they posses the ability to use their intestine to derive oxygen from the air, they can survive when oxygen levels drop very low.

During dry spells when water sources nearly disappear the industrious weather loach survives by burrowing into the mud to protect its skin from drying out. This habit of burrowing is a favorite pastime, and it's not unusual for an owner to think the fish has disappeared, only to discover the loach has burrowed beneath the substrate. If burrowing does not offer sufficient protection during particularly severe conditions, the weather loach is capable of secreting a protective mucous to prevent it from drying out.

Although the weather loach will adapt to almost any water conditions, colder water is preferable. In fact for successful spawning a period of cool temps is necessary to simulate the natural habitat and promote fertility.

The weather loach enjoys hiding places, and will appreciate rocks and other landscaping materials, as well as something as simple as a plastic tube left in the tank. Take care to keep filter inlet tubes well covered, as the weather loach will not hesitate to swim up an uncovered tube. It is not unusual for owners to report having found their loach inside the filter.

Interesting reading! :nod:

see weather loaches are cool! i cant kill it (yet) and they can surrive out of water!

cheers william

As I mentioned in some other area, I have 4 weather loaches. 2 in my pond and two in my tropical fish tank. The ones in my pond, I rarely see and the two in the tank think they are the bosses. What more can I say, other than they are full of character and life. :lol:

Since this post, I have a mission to find these creatures of the water. My LFS is out of them right now, but plan on keeping up the looking. I wish to add them to my outdoor pond as an added feature for those late nights on the deck.

Thanks for the post as I get ideas from everyone :D

Well yes I've observed that about them too. It's because they have atmospheric air in their gut so they need to expel it somehow so out it comes.......... A bit like us after a few beers and a HOT Vindaloo on a Saturday night. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Their courtship and mating is strange to watch...... :hyper: :hyper:
I know I'm a voyeristic perv. :lol: :lol: :lol:
They twine around each other and swim together corkscrewing, if you excuse the expression through the water. In that mode they seem oblivious towards any other tankmates. They just plough through everything.

Graeme, are you from Newcastle upon Tyne or Under Lyme???
If you're a Geordie, you are a rare species yourself as we have nobody other than myself from up here in this forum.

are weather loaches the same as cooly loaches and sucking loaches that pet shops name them as?

not quite sure but they dont look the same...wheather loaches are like eels but fatter.

So they are cold water? Can they be kept in a tropical tank and who would they hold up to malawi?

(I have a weakness for these bottom feeders :))

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back