Now, I'm Really Relying On You Guys......

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

What about adding a Cichlasoma octofasciatum or Aequidens rivulatus.

Ouch!!... I'll have to google those suggestions to see what I know them as..... Foolishly, I notice that I've called the Pengassius's Bala sharks...... (sorry.... mistake)

Should be fine with the Convicts and will add a little colour to the tank could maybe look at Nandopsis salvini too (Salvini Cichlid) and another Pleco.

Long time since I've had to refer back to this topic, but I've skipped 2 weeks from going to the place and now find that there are only 2 Oscars, 1 Convict, 1 Pleco and 1 Pangasius left in this tank....

I spoke to the manager and (together) we've decided to redesign to a smaller fish environment. (Talking about removing all current fish and using this 1,100l tank for smaller (more colourfull) fish where landscaping (with real plants) can also be done.

Question is, do I go for the 200 very small species.. (neon Tetras and the likes) or should I go for mediums like Kribs and Rams... Your suggestions will be considered and appreciated.

You could have rams or apistos and a shoal or 2 of small fish, maybe 1 of serpae tetras and 1 of neons.

You go for large numbers of shoaling fish like rummy nose or black neons or any of several other small shoaling fish. When you have 40 or 50 rummy nose moving almost as a single fish in a tank it is quite dramatic.

Might need to put some larger fish in with those tetras though, like discus or keyholes or something. Otherwise they might get too relaxed to school.

55s onwards is most relevant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap97QRNdJds

I wonder if I do a mixed male only guppy tank..... If I put around 600 male guppies in there and landscape with lots of plants & rocks etc??? (I mean, then it would only cost him for the plants and I can supply the Guppies).... I have a 4ft with only males in and they make a fantastic display??....

Yeah that could look really striking and you could get some bottom dwellers to add some intrest to the bottom of the tank.

600 guppies would certainly give the tank a lot of colour.

OK!... so when I made my final offer to the manager, he decided that he wanted a tank with exclussively sharks.... At this stage, he had in there:

2 x Albino Oscars;
3 x xl Convicts (males)
1 x Pengassius (Hifin)
1 x Plecostomus.....

Then came the Christmas break and they only reopened last week.

whats's left......

1 x Plecostomus
1 x Pengassius (Hifin)

All the other fish died during the "off" period and the water was dark brown... they made no water changes during this period... I was sooooooo!!!.... disgusted!

I did a 99% water change, bought a (swimming pool) algea broom and cleaned the glass... and from my tanks at home, I added 3 Astatotillapias, 3 (male) Convicts, 3 Livingstoniis, 3 ruby barbs, 1 Acancadorus,.... and I brought back the Giant Gouramie.... Now, There is life in the tank again and it is scrupulously clean..... If I do not pitch up every Friday to at least do a water change,..... They do nothing and lose fish!!!

I will take my camera with next Friday and show you what it looks like ATM.

I think you are too good to them!

They should at least learn to do basic water changes and maintenance.

Maybe you can work out some kind of deal with them like drinks on the house if you do the tank maintance once a week. While reading through this thread and seeing how a lot of fish are hard for you to get I was thinking maybe a SF native tank. That would be something the local fishermen would like and the fish would be easy for you to get.

Why do you need to do these massive water-changes? Are you massively underfiltering/or overstocking the tank? Generally speaking the larger a tank the more stable it should be. What are the levels like on this tank each week?

www.monster fish keepers.com - Might be worth popping in here for some specific advice on tanks of this size with monster occupants.

Sorry if i am stepping on anyone's toes, not trying to preach or anything, or belittle anyone's experience. Im a noob around here really and dont know how people take to advice/questions on this forum, so wanted to tread softly!

Im genuinely interesting in this tank, seems to be causing you a lot of problems!!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back