Not Sure I Want Fish Anymore

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I think I need to down-grade my filter all my bacteria seem to keep finding their way in there :huh:

Loosely related and just for interest: I did a short OU course on microbiology in 2010 and part of the course was to try to grow some bacteria and fungus using tomato soup. The two pictures below are probably of fungus rather than bacteria but I think they're cute (in a weird sort of way). Note the one that seems to have a face.

PS This is tomato soup left open to the air for two hours then sealed and left in a warm place for two weeks; now you see why we have refrigerators.

Smallbeasties.jpg

DSCN3168.jpg
erm!! :sick: I don't think I have enough Lysol in the hose for that. My Screen is now infected I think..
22" HD monitor for sale.. may smell!! free or best offer.. MUST GO!!

yum, recently eaten Rice Krispies threatening to re-appear :sick:

Thats not fair im just a newbie and i dont have any bacteria.....

Dont worry about that! Soon enough, you will be able to enjoy the fun of a finely cultivate colony of bacteria. They are so fun to watch as they grow. Hopefully you are getting them used to you now by handfeeding them straight out of a bottle of pure ammonia.

Dont worry about that! Soon enough, you will be able to enjoy the fun of a finely cultivate colony of bacteria. They are so fun to watch as they grow. Hopefully you are getting them used to you now by handfeeding them straight out of a bottle of pure ammonia.

I have one wee fish in my 20 litre tank as i wasnt told about the Nitrogen cycle at the pet shop...i know now...thankfully Tiny, my White Cloud minnow is hardy and patient with my learning curve...i know i should have taken Chemistry at school...im becoming a testaholic...as im testing bout 3 times a day t keep an eye on my ammonia...no nitrites or nitrAtes yet...can i add the bacteria from under my sons bed i keep finding his experiments?? Hee hee

I have one wee fish in my 20 litre tank as i wasnt told about the Nitrogen cycle at the pet shop...i know now...thankfully Tiny, my White Cloud minnow is hardy and patient with my learning curve...i know i should have taken Chemistry at school...im becoming a testaholic...as im testing bout 3 times a day t keep an eye on my ammonia...no nitrites or nitrAtes yet...can i add the bacteria from under my sons bed i keep finding his experiments?? Hee hee
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/150631-list-of-members-willing-to-donate-mature-filter-media-to-newbies/

Check this link out. Maybe someone can donate to you to help you get a good cycle :)

Tomato soup aside, today I bought three botia striata (zebra loach) and ten black phantom tetra's (the lfs's entire stock) so my beautiful bacteria now have fishy friends. Tomorrow they get some red phantom tetra's and if I can find some at another fish shop, three more zebra's. Bacteria, you are not alone. :good:

I love puantom tetras. How many males and how many females?

I haven't been able to check yet as they are a bit shy. Once I've established ratios I'll try to get a good mix. I want a school of about 25 eventually.

I love puantom tetras. How many males and how many females?

I haven't been able to check yet as they are a bit shy. Once I've established ratios I'll try to get a good mix. I want a school of about 25 eventually.

Be aware that the females may show no trace of red whatsoever when you get them from the fish shop if they are young. I thought I had a batch of all males at first and it turned out there were two males and three females. The colours took about two weeks to show up properly in my tank.
One thing I have noticed with my black phantom males that I've never seen mentioned in any info about them - as well as the male's adipose fin being dark grey rather than red, it also seems to be very much smaller than those of the female. This might be coincidence as I only have two males though.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back