Not Sure I Want Fish Anymore

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Be aware that the females may show no trace of red whatsoever when you get them from the fish shop if they are young. I thought I had a batch of all males at first and it turned out there were two males and three females. The colours took about two weeks to show up properly in my tank.
One thing I have noticed with my black phantom males that I've never seen mentioned in any info about them - as well as the male's adipose fin being dark grey rather than red, it also seems to be very much smaller than those of the female. This might be coincidence as I only have two males though.

I'll be waiting for a while before expanding the school so I'll bear your comments in mind before purchasing.

Just looking at their antics this evening begs a question:

They seem to be hanging around at the back of the tank and while this may be because of unfamiliarity with their surroundings I am wondering if they don't like the water flow in the tank. I am using a spray bar at the back of the tank which moves water across the surface of the water and then causes a flow down the front of the tank to the bottom. The Tetra's preferred position (so far) is underneath the spray bar where any flow would be minimal. Any comments on how much water flow Phantom Tetra's like (or dislike)?

Mine don't like the highest areas of flow in the tank, but I think that might be due to decor arrangement. They will position themselves where there is some significant flow and face in to the current, flicking slightly to stay in place every couple of seconds. But they pretty much go everywhere except directly under the spray bar, though I have seen them there rarely.

Probably because they're new then, I expect. Indeed, they do seem a little more adventurous today

Most reactions

Back