Non drift… wood… a big risk???

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Magnum Man

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
So I had done this before… 20 ish years ago… what is the thoughts today???

In going for that more “natural look”, is it too much risk to use branches of trees I can’t imagine any more risk than digging your own drift wood out of the local lake???

How about bark on the sticks and branches??? Again, can’t imagine it’s much different than placing local leaves???

As I get closer to setting up the next couple tanks, I’m leaning towards a more “ natural look”… I know it won’t be “natural” but with the house plants I’m already growing out of my aquariums it would be pretty easy to make a slice off shore line tank???

I use hardwood I pick up on the ground in clean places. It takes a looooong time to sink it, but it works. All bark is removed.

The last time I did this, I bought a bunch of Peckoltia wood munching catfish, and set them to work on the wood after I had stripped all bark and sat it in a tub outside all summer. They did a lovely job, then I passed them a long to a friend who was waiting for them.

I constantly pass fantastic pieces on salt beaches and leave them, afraid I'll still have resin to deal with if they're softwood. That said, a local guy where I used to live would take his boat out and pull driftwood from his favourite fishing areas, hundreds of pieces, and then sell it to stores. The buyers who would never use wood from a local lake if they saw it there were delighted to buy it from the aquarium stores...

I would assume Maple would be fine ( most of our “real” hardwood is walnut, and that makes me nervous

Is there a safety reason to remove the bark ( I did not on my Maple 20 years ago ) other than the litter it makes falling off… but that seems a lot like leaf litter

Driftwood sold in shops is simply wood, branches and roots from trees that have been cut down and dried.

As long as the tree branch isn't from a toxic plant and isn't a conifer, you are fine. Just make sure it's completely dry before putting it in water. You don't have to remove leaves or bark but they can make a mess when left in the tank.

Hello Magnum. Water dissolves everything you put into the tank in time. A small branch isn't going to last nearly as long as a large piece of driftwood. Water will soften the wood and holes will begin to show in the wood pieces. I guess this is fine, if you tire of the look of a tank and want to do something else. If you want something more lasting, then use large pieces of driftwood and rocks. They won't cost you anything and look as good or better than the stuff at the store. Rocks make a tank look natural and these will stay in the tank longer than you'll be around, so you won't have to rescape everything unless you like doing that sort of thing.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back