No!! Unexpected swim in peace!!

VioletThePurple

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I had a betta in a 5 gallon, with heater and filter. The other day I realized she was acting really lethargic. I realized her heater wasn't working like it was supposed to. So, since this was an emergency situation, I took the heater from my other tank to place it in her tank, so she didn't freeze overnight. Unfortunately, it was too late as I found her dead lying on the bottom this morning. Any advice so I can prevent this if a situation like this happens again? My other fish are okay btw.

The only thing I can think of is to have a reserve heater set at 5C below your main heater, so that it only kicks in when the main heater fails.

Betta are from the tropics where there’s a short cool season from late Nov to January when the air temperature sometimes drops to 15C at night, so they will be OK for cool temp for a short period.

When I see them drop to the bottom of the tank (quite likely to seek warmer water) and hide, the first I do is check the temperature.

Last edited:
Check the temperature every day, maybe when you feed the fish. The longer the heat is off, the more stress on the fish. Catch it early to minimise the damage.

A warm water change is a quick way to raise the temperature by one or two degrees.

When you buy a new heater get the most reliable one that you can.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back