NanaWells

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I just tested my tank

Ph 7.4
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0

I have never had 0 nitrates and I tested it a couple of times is that normal? I have 1 Betta 4 plants a little water lettuce lots of filter media 15g new tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the tank is new the filter won't be converting ammonia into nitrite and nitrate and the plants could be using the ammonia.

And 1 small fish in a 15 gallon tank is not going to produce much ammonia so the plants will probably be using it all up. :)

And 1 small fish in a 15 gallon tank is not going to produce much ammonia so the plants will probably be using it all up.
Yep should be fine.

I tend to disagree unless Iā€™m a little confused. You said 15G new tank. Is the ā€œ lots of mediaā€ cycled media from another tank that you seeded the tank with? If so, sounds like it hasnā€™t cycled. I would add a little more fish food to get the ammonia up more and get the cycle going.

Last edited:
If the tank is new the filter won't be converting ammonia into nitrite and nitrate and the plants could be using the ammonia.

And 1 small fish in a 15 gallon tank is not going to produce much ammonia so the plants will probably be using it all up. :)
Itā€™s cycled well seeded from his original tank just a bigger tank

You may not have enough seeded media since the tank is larger. Give it a little time to catch up and cycle. I would still add a little extra fish food to get the ammonia going to feed the bacteria so it doesnā€™t die.

If the tank has established filters, then the plants will use ammonia before the filters can convert it all. The plants will also use nitrite and nitrate if there is any present in the water. Theoretically, in a well planted tank with only 1 fish the nitrates should stay low due to the plants using anything that appears in the water. :)

You may not have enough seeded media since the tank is larger. Give it a little time to catch up and cycle. I would still add a little extra fish food to get the ammonia going to feed the bacteria so it doesnā€™t die.

Seriously I have 3 filters from his other tank everything in new tank came out of old if that isnā€™t enough media itā€™s never going to cycle again [emoji15]

If the tank has established filters, then the plants will use ammonia before the filters can convert it all. The plants will also use nitrite and nitrate if there is any present in the water. Theoretically, in a well planted tank with only 1 fish the nitrates should stay low due to the plants using anything that appears in the water. :)

Whew I was ready to throw in the towel for a minute there [emoji2957]

But it doesnā€™t snā€™t have established filters yet. You have to have enough seeded media to make an automatic cycle. It sounds like hers hasnā€™t quite gotten there yet and will die from Fishlore without ammonia to feed it.

Ok. If you had 3 filters in the other tank you certainly should have enough cycled media. I still worry that their isnā€™t enough ammonia to keep the cycle fed but Iā€™ll back out. I do sincerely wish you the best of luck!

Ok. If you had 3 filters in the other tank you certainly should have enough cycled media. I still worry that their isnā€™t enough ammonia to keep the cycle fed but Iā€™ll back out. I do sincerely wish you the best of luck!

Itā€™s all good [emoji6]

Iā€™m now using bottled water

What type of bottled water? Not all bottled water made for humans to drink is fish safe, for example the PH can swing wildly from batch to batch.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back