Newbie - Pregnant Platy

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Kellz

Reaction score
Hi,

I have just purchased a 110 litre tank two weeks ago and have put 3 platys in it last Saturday.

Over the last few days I noticed some odd behaviour from one and went straight back to Maidenhead Aquatics for advice (Floating on the top or hiding on the bottom).

It now seams that I have two females and one male and that one female is being bullied and pushed aside as the others are doing there business.

I have been told to expect some babies in about 4 weeks.

What do I need for these? What do they eat? etc etc as I have said I have only recently purchased the tank and am completely new too this.

Also the guy said that once the other two have finished then the other fish will be included again. Will this period of being excluded effect this fish?

Any help will be much appreciated!

I'd be surprised if both Platys wern't pregnant. I've never heard of that bullying thing before but maybe I'm wrong.

You're about to be educated in the joys of cycling btw but I'll leave that to someone more experienced :)

You will be doing a "fish in" cycle with things as they are.... Again, not got time to explain that one right now, but someone will be along in a second.

I would not expect fry to survive if dropped mid-cycle, but I could be wrong!

In regards to feeding the fry, you can get commercially available fry food from most LFS, and online. Some people use boiled egg yolk. Previously I have got away with crushed up flake food.

Hi,

When it comes to cycling the tank i have been using the drops that you put in the tank every couple of days for the first two weeks and putting fish in slowly. I have been told i can put another couple of fish in at the weekend. I did readings of nitrite (0) and Nitrate (10) yesterday and all is ok.

Hi,

When it comes to cycling the tank i have been using the drops that you put in the tank every couple of days for the first two weeks and putting fish in slowly. I have been told i can put another couple of fish in at the weekend. I did readings of nitrite (0) and Nitrate (10) yesterday and all is ok.
Never heard of the Miracle Drops -what are they?

You ought to read the section on Fish-in cycling in My First Tank section for good advice. In the meantime
1, DON'T add any more fish for at least 6weeks until the tank is fully cycled and mature
2.Have you checked ammonia levels as well as nitrite? Ammonia can kill fish and even low levels will make them ill
3. Do BIG water changes at least 2-3 times every week.I did a fish-in cycle when I first started as I didn't know any better but I did big water changes, 33% three times a week at least. All my fish survived and a year later I still have them.
Good luck with your new pets

Hi, the drops are filter start. Thank you all for your concern on the cycling of my tank but I needed to know about looking after fry. What equipment etc? I understand they need to be seperate but for how long? Do they need a seperate tank? Food etc etc

thank you all for your comments so far!

K

What people are trying to say is that it's likely all your fish will die anyway (not just the fry) if you ignore what they say and don't do any sort of cycle. You may be one of the very few with the "I didn't cycle and all my fish were fine"story but the liklehood is you won't be. If you really want to look after your fish and their babies then the best thing you can do now it read up on fish-IN cycling and do it. If you don't then that of course is up to you but I suspect you'll wish you had :)

As for the feeding/equipment concerning fry, you may be best to ask in the Livebearers section. People like Oldman will be able to help you I think.

Good luck :)

firstly, read up the fish-in cycling as you have been told. also, buy a LIQUID test kit for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate at least.
secondly, do NOT add another fish for the next month at least. your filter has no bacteria to cope with the fish's waste. those kind of drops are simply a gimick and are made simply to give people the illusion that they are cycling their tank.

now. as for the fry. unless your tank is HEAVILY planted, they will get eaten by the parents anyways. if you are keeping them in the same tank with the parens and if you feed flake, simply feed what you normally would to the adults, then take a few flakes, crumble them into dust between your fingers, and let the dust float on the water..the fry will come up and eat the crushed flake dust.

be VERY DILIGENT about water changes - - if you think you have done enough, do more. pristine water is crucial for fry survival. they are very very sensitive to ANY trace of ammonia.

when, weeks from now, you add more fish...do it VERY slowly. if you add anymore platies make sure you keep a ratio of 1 male to At LEAST 2 females...more females the better.

males can KILL females from trying to over mate with them...the females literally die from exhaustion from trying to get away from the male. having more females means that his "attention" gets spread around so each female can rest.

Let's be clear, the cycle can be a real problem but is not the subject here.
The fry will need their own container for about 4 weeks if you are able to do very frequent water changes on them to keep things healthy and you feed them well. At that age they will be large enough to survive with the adults. If you cannot do the frequent large water changes, the fry will not grow as well and may take even longer to be large enough to return to living with the adults.
Meanwhile, the cycle on the main tank still needs your attention.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back