Newbie eager to learn

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sarabarton76

Fish Fanatic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hello all! I've wanted tropical fish for a very long time but always been too nervous to dabble (and probably too busy)

After a few years with an inherited fancy goldfish (sadly bubbled its last before Christmas) and with the mild good natured nagging of my 5 year old I have taken the leap. I know she will get bored - I only agreed because I really wanted to do this. However with the interest of a 5 year old, I definitely wont be entering any tank of the month competitions till she is bored enough to not notice me swapping out the lurid pink gravel and the rainbow castle....

So, a general hello from me - ready to learn and making the small one read the chemistryas we love a bit of science...

Anyway, we have a 65l tank. I added 2 female Mollies 3 weeks ago, and added a male & a female today (was going to wait another week but one of them was quite aggressive with the other and felt establishing more or a shoal would help)

I have no particular attachment to any kind of fish and went for Mollies because they are labelled as good for beginners. I cant upgrade tank size or establish another one (yet - but probably in the future). Is it ok to stick with 4 of them or do I need to go up to 6?

I have a slight issue as my daughter saw some guppies today and thinks they are beautiful but I guess with only a 65l tank I cant really stock with mollies.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :hi:

First thing we need to recommend stock, is the dimensions of the tank and your water hardness. (pH and GH)

Mollies are hard water fish and should only be kept in hard water. :)

hiya

The tank is 23 inches long, 12 inches wide and I think 15 high (forgot the vertical measurement)

pH is 7 - 7.5 (was lower when I started the tank). I don't know the exact kH of our water - I live in a soft water area. I have some coral and also the fish retailer doesn't massively increase the hardness of water for these Mollies bred. I hadn't realised the impact of hardness to Mollies till I had already bought the first 2 hence coral added. I'm probably going to have to really keep on top of this I know.

Today pre water change:
pH 7, Ammonia 0.2, nitrates slight tinge but not at 0.25 level, Nitrites 20. I'm expecting to have to increase water changes over next few days - usually do 30%

Using seachem prime and adding API quick start as added new fish.

I'm quite happy with the 4 but if it turns out thats not good for them I need to rethink.

Hello and welcome :)

Mollies do not need a shoal so 4 is fine. They are quite big fish so more would would overstock anyway (be aware that they breed easily too).
Guppies are compatible and smaller, particularly if you went for male endler guppy.

I don't know if the coral will raise the GH enough to suit the guppies (about 200ppm) and mollies (about 250ppm). Can you get the water tested (or some test strips measure GH)? There are some products that can raise GH if you find your levels are too low and if you want to stick with these species. @seangee has experience with Salty Shrimp which may do the job.

A good place to research fish requirements is SeriouslyFish.com

its still pretty ugly! More plants on way and then the spongebob pineapple and castle go.... Cant manage a good pic tonight, sorry
20210220_204437.jpg

Most reactions

Back