Newbie. Attempting To Start And Aquarium And Cycle The Water, Please H

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

natabeexo

Reaction score
Hi there! My name is Natalie and I am COMPLETELY new to this fish business. I'm in need of some serious help. Currently, I have one Dwarf Gourami and one Pleco (bottom feeder). For the moment, I have a five gallon tank, which I'm sure is ok for two small fish temporarily. When I first begin this process, I had one extra fish..and angelfish. Not knowing anything about water cycling, I stuck all three fish in. I had a heater, a filter, and a bubbler. The angelfish died within five hours, which is when I started to do my research and realized that something was wrong. I then proceeded to go to Walmart, and picked up a Jungle Complete Water Care Kit. In tablet form this included a Start Zyme, Start Right, and Correct pH. I removed the remaining two fish and dropped in the tablets. It's been about ten hours so I went and purchased an API Ammonia Test Kit. It was at about .25, but I know it needs to be at 0. I'm figuring that I need to let the water cycle for about 24 hours before I put the fish back in but I'm not even sure about that. Also, I bought a bottle of Stress Zyme and added a smidge more of that. The water is super super cloudy right now and I'm worried that I need to dump all the water out and start over again. Can someone please help me?

Hi Natabeexo, and welcome! :)

First, you're right, the five gallon is too small. Is there some way you could get a bigger tank? I would also suggest to take the fish back to the store where you got them from. 

It would be best if you would consider doing a fish-less cycling, because it is less work since you don't have to do constant water changes, and no fish can be harmed while your tank cycles. 

Here is some interesting info on this: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/277264-beginners-resource-center/

If you only have room for a 5 gallon tank you may want to get a Betta instead (once the tank is cycled), or maybe make it a shrimp tank. Somewhere on the forums is a thread talking about 5 gallon tanks....  http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/417637-so-who-has-a-5-gallon-what-do-you-keep-in-it/?hl=%2B5+%2Bgallon+%2Btanks#entry3519181

The cloudiness you see is probably a bacterial bloom. Usually they say to just leave it, maybe increase the filter flow to increase oxygenation of the water, but in your case I would start over, don't add all these chemicals to the water except a dechlorinator and for now put your fish back in the tank. They will do better in a filtered environment. No matter where you put your fish right now, the water will see the levels of ammonia rising, it comes from the fish's waste.

Before you buy fish always inform yourself first what kind of needs the fish have, in terms of size of tank, species of tank mates, and water perimeters. Always know exactly what kind of fish you are getting, for example the pleco, there are many different kinds of plecos, and some need really large tanks.

The cloudy water is probably just a bacteria bloom which is normal in newly set up tanks.
The cycling process takes about 3-8 weeks and possibly more since you have fish. While your tank is cycling, you will have to perform a water change every time some ammonia or nitrite is showing. I would recommend you buying a nitrite test kit and then a nitrate. Most people just buy a master test kit but its up to you seeing as you have ready bought the ammonia test kit seperatly.

Don't mess around with your pH as it can be hard to get it right unless you are an experienced aquarists. It is better to buy fish that suite your pH rather than trying to suit your pH to your fish. You will need to buy a pH test kit.

Is the ammonia test kit you currently have test strips or is it a liquid test? Test strips often are not very accurate.

Do you have some water conditioner to remove the chlorine from the water? If you don have one then you will need to buy one ASAP as every time you change your water you will need to use it. If you don't then your cycling process will have to restart as the chlorine kills the "good" bacteria that you grow in your filter by cycling.

Hope this has helped and if you have any more questions then ask away. :)

As pointed out the cloudiness is normal in new set ups and will clear on its own in a few days. It is a bacterial bloom, nothing bad. The bad news is that that size tank is really suitable for very few species of fish, and neither one of your current ones. It is a "nano" tank.

As suggested your best (and the fish's) next move would be to return the fish. That tank will be fine for some nano fish, but you'll need to research them carefully. We have a nano section on this site with some suggestions for fish. In the meantime, while you research the fish, doing a fish less cycle is your best bet. See the link to the beginner's resource center in my sig. Btw, only dose to 2-3ppm, not 5 as suggested ithe fish less cycle thread, it's old and currently being updated, but not ready for full release yet.

Nano fish: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/418749-nano-fish/

I would say stop bunging all those chemicals in there like the instant bacteria in a bottle , ph balance etc - lowering PH can slow the process down.

If you are not going to cycle fishless then Get the fish back in there as letting it sit for days with no source of ammonia is doing nothing and may kill off any bacteria you already have in there

Get a test kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and do Partial water changes to control and lower the ammonia and/or nitrite levels should they rise, new water will not harm your fish or cycle as long as it is dechlorinated and around the same temp.

I wouldn't keep pulling the fish out of the tank everytime the water  clouds or looks/tests bad as that cannot be good for them at all, keep it under control with partial water changes and leave the fish in there

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back