New To Saltwater!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

hexy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just wanted to say I am new to marine and would like some advice :)

I finally bought a tank the other day, off eBay actually to start my adventure. It is a fish pod 64 tank and came with live rock and simple internal filter (I have been told I must go external?) and skimmer, and heater, and a beautiful damsel fish which I understand is a good one to cycle?

Below is a picture of the set up (water level is slightly low as I need some more RO water and LFS were all out)

IMG_0948.jpg

What I wanted to know is:

A) what other fish could be added, and how many is too many?
B) would I be able to introduce coral? - I have just stand two lights
C) is there enough live rock?
D) I would like some help on ensuring my skimmer is working properly - it is quite loud and I can only get it quieter when I submerge it lowered into the water and pretty much close the valve...

Any other help would be so helpful, as I say im new to marine, I have had tropical fish running for 3 years now but just couldnt resist and would like to eventually change my large tank to marine.

Thanks
hexy

Hi Hexy

welcome to the salty side

Is that a 65 litre tank? If so you can use the calculator at the top of the forum home screen to check the amount of live rock you'll need. I think its about 7kg for a 65 but check the calculator

Is that live rock in the pics? I;m not sure it is?If you have decent liverock in there you wouldn;t need the internal filter or an external for that matter as the rock would be your filter as long as there was decent flow in the tank

what kind of lights are they?

simon

I finally bought a tank the other day, off eBay actually to start my adventure. It is a fish pod 64 tank and came with live rock and simple internal filter (I have been told I must go external?) and skimmer, and heater, and a beautiful damsel fish which I understand is a good one to cycle?

The tank should be able to cycle without any fish. Marine tanks will naturally cycle from the die off from live rock, have you got any test kits? Have a look through this section, should be helpful:

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/286583-marine-and-reef-resource-centre/

Also I would ditch the internal but there is not always a need to run an external filter, what would you run in it? and what have you got in the internal?

Below is a picture of the set up (water level is slightly low as I need some more RO water and LFS were all out)

Do you have a refractometer? If that water level is the result of evaporation your SG could be too high!What I wanted to know is:

If it were my tank I would get rid of the damsel and go for a shrimp/goby pair and then maybe a firefish or some other small fish. Do you have any clean up crew?

B) would I be able to introduce coral? - I have just stand two lights

Do you know what the lights are? Most standard tank lights would be enough to support some soft corals, ie mushrooms, zoas etc.

C) is there enough live rock?

Do you know how many kg there is? Tbh it looks okay to me but someone else may be able to help.

D) I would like some help on ensuring my skimmer is working properly - it is quite loud and I can only get it quieter when I submerge it lowered into the water and pretty much close the valve...

What skimmer is it? Do you have any pics? You will need the air valve open at least some to allow it to skim, otherwise you will just be pumping water through it without any effect. Is it producing anything in the skimmer cup?

Any other help would be so helpful, as I say im new to marine, I have had tropical fish running for 3 years now but just couldnt resist and would like to eventually change my large tank to marine.

Thanks
hexy

My answers are in Red and I hope that helps, anything else just let us all know.

James

and a beautiful damsel fish which I understand is a good one to cycle?

Technically NO fish should be going through the tank's cycle. Damsels are hardy, but it's far better for the sake of the fish to use a piece of raw seafood like shrimp or scallop to cycle the tank and only add animals once cycled. Otherwise you will have to do a lot of water changes (and probably slow the cycle as a result) to keep the params within tolerable levels for the fish. What state was the rock in when you got it? Had this tank been established with the rock for some time? If so, you might not see much cycle depending on how the rock was handled in transit.

What I saw on this tank is that it's 64L, which means you're probably maxed out with the one damsel. Not only are damsels an extremely aggressive, they may also outgrow a tank that size. If you swapped out the damsel in favor of more peaceful options, you might be able to get away with a couple rather small fish. If you want lots of fish, you will really need a much bigger tank. Otherwise your stocking options will be mainly limited to inverts. Small marine tanks can't be loaded up with fish like an equivalent-sized freshwater tank.

Thanks all for the help so far! James in answer to your notes:

What should I have in the internal filter?

I checked my refractometer and my salinity is approx 31.

I do not have a clean up crew at all - the tank I bought as it is and the guy I got it from just had the damsel in it.

I took a picture of the light see below, just really know nothing on lights (even with my tropical)

IMG_0953.jpg

How do I know if this is definitely live rock? It was advertised as so, but never crossed my mind it wouldnt be?

IMG_0952.jpg

Below is a picture of the skimmer - i couldnt find any brand or anything to match up:

IMG_0951.jpg

IMG_0950.jpg

I was told I should maybe get a koralia or something to help pump a flow of water? Is this worth it?

Thanks Hexy

Hi mate. tbh that live rock doesn't look very live to me. In fact it looks like base rock that has recently been added. If thats the case the rock has got months ahead of it in terms of seeding and then curing.
I strongly recommend that you lose the damsel also as they are aggressive little blighters plus if the tank has yet to go through a cycle then he is gonna suffer.

Does the rock show any sign of life on it. [any green/purple coraline algae or anything growing from it? If not then I would recommend you try and source some 'cured' live rock from either a local supplier or a fellow reefer that is breaking down his/her tank.

You would need around 5 - 7 kg in there imo.
How long has the tank been running and is that rock cured?.....Does the person you had the tank off know the answers to these as you really need to know before you continue any further.

Also if the sg reading is 1.031 then that is way,way to high. You will need to add some plain ro water to bring it down to 1.025/6 but bring it down gradually so you dont shock the damsel.

Lastly that looks like a standard 11w energy saving lamp which will be of no use whatsoever in terms of feeding photosynthetic coral.

Sorry to throw all this negativity at you mate but we would rather let you know now than later as it could cause future probs.

What make skimmer is it?

PS- You wont need an internal or external filter if you have cured live rock in your tank as that is your biological filter [the heart and lungs of the tank]
The skimmer is your mechanical filtration. Media such as phosphate remover [which you will need if you plan to keep coral] is part of your chemical filtration.

You WILL need a powerhead of some sort to to provide flow around the rock otherwise if the rock does have nitrifying bacteria on it, it will die.

DONT WORRY THOUGH MATE AS HELP IS ALWAYS ON HAND IN THE SALTY SECTION OF TFF
WERE A HELPFUL, FRIENDLY BUNCH HERE! LOL

Firstly a salinity 0f 31 is ok mate natural sea water is between 30-35. I think some people are confusing salinity and specific gravity.

Salinity is the amount of salt dissolved in a content of water. Usally measured in ppt Eg. 35ppt (part per thousand)

Specific Gravity is the weight and density of the of the content of water. Eg. 1.025sg

Just because a salinity test shows 31 doesnt mean that the sg is 1.031

You will still need a refractometer to test the sg of salt water. To me that doesnt look like Live Rock, looks more like Ocean Rock.

Firstly a salinity 0f 31 is ok mate natural sea water is between 30-35. I think some people are confusing salinity and specific gravity.

Salinity is the amount of salt dissolved in a content of water. Usally measured in ppt Eg. 35ppt (part per thousand)

Specific Gravity is the weight and density of the of the content of water. Eg. 1.025sg

You will still need a refractometer to test the sg of salt water. To me that doesnt look like Live Rock, looks more like Ocean Rock.

I'm sure hydrometers read sg and not salinity so if sg is 1.031 then it needs to come down but i agree with the above post anyway. Especially the base/ocean rock.

Didn't realise I'd put salinity instead of sg so have now corrected! Lol

I'm sure hydrometers read sg and not salinity so if sg is 1.031 then it needs to come down but i agree with the above post anyway. Especially the base/ocean rock.

I see i missed the bit about the hydro. You are correct Hydrometers do read sg, but swing arms are unreliable so his sg may be ok. This is why we tell people to go buy a refractometer.

I see i missed the bit about the hydro. You are correct Hydrometers do read sg, but swing arms are unreliable so his sg may be ok. This is why we tell people to go buy a refractometer.

Well said mate, exactly the reason why I binned mine and bought a refractometer. The Hydro was way out!

After all this you will prob find your sg is to low! lol!

But I doubt it if that loss of water in the tank is from evaporation.
I don't like knocking people down without knowing the facts but tbh I don't think the guy you had the tank off knew what he was doing. Either that or he lost serious interest in looking after the tank.

I checked my SG - and it read 1.021.

I agree, I dont think the guy I bought it off knew an awful lot on the fish so I hopefully I can make a nice improvement on the tank. I really appreciate all the help on here guys :)

From what I understand so far, I should buy a koralia and more of the testing equipment. The water is slightly low from the move, and my LFS were out on RO water on the weekend but I will buy a container this week.

What I am still struggling on is:

1. My skimmer - being extremely loud, and the correct position it should be in? I understand in the funnel it should have a small amount of water and this appears to be white bubbling? Would someone recommend a suitable skimmer if I bought a new one?

2. I am quite concerned about my rock - is there any way I can distinguish if this is indeed live rock?! I have red marks on the rock and one part has I believe algae growing on it now.

3. Lighting - these are very standard lighting and so is there no small coral I could buy that would grow in this?

4. Fish list - Would like a couple more fish, maybe a clown, dottyback but also would like some shrimp/ crabs? recommendations? too many in my tank?

Thank you once again all and excuse both the previous owner and myself! I am new to marine and want to get it right as would like to move this way from my tropical tanks!

I checked my SG - and it read 1.021.

In that case you need to top up with salted ro with an sg of 1.025 [bring it up gradually to correct sg in tank]

I agree, I dont think the guy I bought it off knew an awful lot on the fish so I hopefully I can make a nice improvement on the tank. I really appreciate all the help on here guys :)

No probs mate thats what were all here for

From what I understand so far, I should buy a koralia and more of the testing equipment. The water is slightly low from the move, and my LFS were out on RO water on the weekend but I will buy a container this week.

What I am still struggling on is:

1. My skimmer - being extremely loud, and the correct position it should be in? I understand in the funnel it should have a small amount of water and this appears to be white bubbling? Would someone recommend a suitable skimmer if I bought a new one?

Should be getting froth,tiny bubbles in collection cup [might just need cleaning and new impellor/diaphram if one]

2. I am quite concerned about my rock - is there any way I can distinguish if this is indeed live rock?! I have red marks on the rock and one part has I believe algae growing on it now.

If that damsel has been in for a while and the rock isnt live you would more than likely get a reading for amm, trite if recently setup. I would add some cured lr just to be safe.

3. Lighting - these are very standard lighting and so is there no small coral I could buy that would grow in this?

Will leave this q for the coral kings on here [sorgan are you around?]

4. Fish list - Would like a couple more fish, maybe a clown, dottyback but also would like some shrimp/ crabs? recommendations? too many in my tank?

What size tank is it? [clowns require min of 25-30G but have been kept in smaller] cleaner shrimp, snails and hermits are a yes [that will be your cuc]

Thank you once again all and excuse both the previous owner and myself! I am new to marine and want to get it right as would like to move this way from my tropical tanks!

No problemo..........It will be worth it in the end!....trust me!

The tanks is too small for a dottyback (unless you want WW3). Yes size wise it would fit but they are aggressive fish and would potentially kill its tank mates. Personally i would grab another 5kg of Live Rock. Stocking wise you would be looking at arround 3-4 fish (like a pair of Ocellaris Clowns, a Midas Blenny and a Cherub Angelfish), with a Clean Up Crew of something like a cleaner shrimp, 2 Hermit crabs, 3 Nass snails and 3 cerith snails.

a good way to see if that is live rock is to do some water tests, if your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate cycle looks good then you have bacteria which would suggest to me its lr, if you just have ammonia then its not.

the LR in my little tank looks alot like that as its deprived of light, any rock that may of been in a storage tank to long will not have much on it BUT the color of it suggests to me its not LR of any good quality.

ps catch that damsel and out it, they can be a right #29### to deal with later.

I tested my Nitrite and it is 0mg/l - worst case would be no more than 0.1mg/l. I am all out on my other kits.

Still quite concerned about the live rock - will try to buy some more. What else can I do to ensure this is live rock? Would more photos help? Is it maybe the way I have positioned it that it does not look like live rock?

The fish were really helpful - are there specific names for the cleanup crew? shrimps and crabs?

Also any suggestions on the coral? Would this help the tank at all?

Think I might put the damsel up for sale shortly then :(

a good way to see if that is live rock is to do some water tests, if your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate cycle looks good then you have bacteria which would suggest to me its lr, if you just have ammonia then its not.

the LR in my little tank looks alot like that as its deprived of light, any rock that may of been in a storage tank to long will not have much on it BUT the color of it suggests to me its not LR of any good quality.

ps catch that damsel and out it, they can be a right #29### to deal with later.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back