New To Nano

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

leeandstacie

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Evening
I was in my LFS today and they were selling an ex-display nano tank so I thought stuff it I'll have it. So I got home and thought right I haven't actually got much of a clue when it comes to Salt water fish so need some help please.

I bought a D+D 24g
It has three sections in the back which I have sussed out. but what I am confused about are two things....

Filteration - Do I need this if I am getting live rock ?
Water level in tank - I have filled the water up to the top of tank and it has covered the directional nozzle. The tank has plenty of movement but the water is not breaking so there are nil air bubble in there

please help me I am itching to get started

Cheers, Lee

Hi and :hi: to the salty side

I am not sure on the D&D tanks is there any foam in the back filters?

What water have you used to fill the tank tap water?

I have a simlar size tank but as well as the two powerhead with directional nozzles I have a koralia powerhead pointing near the surface as well

no need for a filter with the live rock

There is a big section at the back of the tank which is split into 3 compartments. The water runs into the back on the first compartment and runs through some floss I put in. It then moves onto the middle section which I am thinking goes the carbon / ceramic media and the the 3rd section with the pump in putting the water back in the tank.

I used RO water as it waws 10p a litre so cost me about a tenner to get going

Cheers and sorry if I confuse

I have a simlar size tank but as well as the two powerhead with directional nozzles I have a koralia powerhead pointing near the surface as well

no need for a filter with the live rock

is koralia a brand or a type of power head?

Cheers

I would remove the ceramic rings they do not do much for filtration if the carbon is a sponge type it will need cleaning weekly.

RO is good :good:

I would add rowaphos into one compartment to remove phosphates

once tank is up to correct salinity 1.026 is best for a reef aquarium do you have a refractometer to check salinty or a swing arm? If neither a Refractometer is worth every penny

And the temp is upto roughly 26 degrees you are ready for LR I am guessing 15kg - 18kg in that size tank then some good arognite sand, live or not makes litle diffrence.

You need to be aiming for 20 - 30 times turnover of tank water an hour Koralia is a brand of powerhead alot of people use to get this turn over

Theb you will need some test kits Salferti are the prefered brand PH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate these will be used to test for a cycle before you can add anthing to the tank

Cheers for the info it is very valuable to me
but one more question if I can please as I cannot find the answer anywhere, how do you keep sand alive in a bag? surely that is the most nonesence ever ? I bought the regular coral sand as I wasn't paying 5 x the amount for sand I didnt believe was alive lol

Cheers

Simple answer no idea I used live sand in my tank for no other reason than I liked the mix of fine coarse and shells in the sand

The LR is the main one to worry about TMC sometimes have some stunning LR in its like thin scrholling rock excellent for scaping got a few pieces in my sump ready for a few minor changes.

Most reactions

Back