putting foam under an aquarium???

Magnum Man32 146

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Joined
Jun 21, 2023
Messages
7,624
Reaction score
6,873
Points
113
Location
Southern MN
I had heard reference of this in chatter before ( I believe it was to help with self leveling??? )

I’ve never done this, but am setting up a tank in a 3 season porch, and thinking about it for the insulation value…
has anyone done this???
long term effects???
I’ve got a 1.5 inch thick sheet of pink insulation foam, I’m considering using… thoughts???
 
You didn’t mention what surface the tank is going on. 1.5” foam is ..way..too thick and would be too mushy. 1/8” to 1/4” max would be fine. I have found that a thick vinyl (sold by the foot on rolls at fabric stores) works really well. Mine extend about 1/2” to 1” past the outer edge of the tank. For example, my 33g tanks are 48” long and my vinyl is around 49.5” long. You want to even out the surface to the tank bottom, not create a ‘mattress’.
 
the stand is cement block, with 2 inch dimensional lumber on top ( actually 1 5/8 inch thick ) … I form angles with the boards with with 2X6’s screwed under the tops, and don’t typically put anything on the boards…

my main tank area in the basement has stands like this, that have been in place for over 35 years…

I’m sure I read about thicker foam used… the pink foam I’m considering is rigid closed cell foam insulation
 
Mind sharing a pic or two? I’m a bit confused in that you got cement blocks with wood on top, but nothing goes on the boards…..?

I think I know exactly the kind of pink dense foam you’re referring to. Imo, that (even if you’ve read abt it elsewhere) is too thick. I hope some others toss in their thoughts. I just care, that’s all. I am trying to be constructive, not destructive.
 
I am in the UK and I think the sort of thing bgarthe mentioned is probably very similar to the things that we use on the floor here when we go camping, or people who do yoga also use it.
 
since I have no dog in this fight, and only going on an old man’s memory…

Google say’s this…
IMG_9883.webp

since my regular stands have held up for so long, I think I’ll skip using any foam… I was just thinking insulation value for the colder seasons…

still willing to hear from anyone that has used it…
 
Last edited:
1786808576467.webp


Regarding the first and second bullets, Google is spot on. Do me a favor and look into the thick vinyl before committing. Honestly, putting an inch and a half thick foam under the tank bottom is not going to insulate much at all. Wrapping the sides and top would better serve to insulate although it would look bad. Heat rises and lots of heat gets out via the sides and top.

Not to be nosey, but this three season room warrants investigation regarding how cold the temps get, type/power of heater to maintain water temps, and over all temperature fluctuation. If there is even a chance of freezing, skip the glass. :nod:
 
If your tank is not a rimmed tank, i.e. it has a piece of flat glass at the bottom, then it's recommended to have a piece of foam between the glass and the supporting timber plank. The foam is to prevent the bottom glass from cracking in case there's thing like a grain of sand caught between the glass and timber plank. The foam has nothing to do with tank levelling.
If you're thinking insulation, it's not required since the supporting timber acts as insulation.
 
under construction…

IMG_9888.webp

a table we eat on, in this 3 season porch, tucks just under the stand…

IMG_9887.webp
 
this is the tank the sunfish will be going into, 2 heaters set at around 68 degrees F., so they won’t run at all during 3 seasons, but with 2 heaters should keep it from freezing in the winter, especially being butted up against the house, and out of the weather…

the hanging LED spotlights I used for the tilapia raising tanks, will be the lighting
 
And all morning, I've been working to get tanks onto foam. I'm moving tanks and the styro is a pain.

I do it for no rim tanks where the glass is in direct contact with the surface. Unevenness you miss can create problems, and I have a few homemade tanks. There, I use 1/2 or inch white styrofoam. Hard styrofoam is less useful for that application.

I don't use it with tanks that have trim or raised edges on the bottom.

Insulation? I can't have tanks in my outside garage, an unheated space, as a few days into a winter cold snap and it can be -25 out there. It tends to be at or below freezing for months. I'm not that far north of @Magnum Man .I've stored very dry glass tanks out there, but no amount of insulation would let me keep a tank out there without spending a small fortune on heating. One power cut, and crack.

I have boxed tanks in the past, when I lived in cold apartments.- styro around the bottom, back and 2 sides. It probably helped.

If I can ask, why 68f for sunfish? That's pretty warm for most North American species' winters. And what will happen with the evaporation?
 
that was just a good guess, allowing some fudge room for really cold snaps… I likely could go to the lowest set point on the heaters, in reality
 
I caught latipinna mollies, least killifish, shrimp, and Ellasoma in Florida where I measured the water at 10 degrees celsius. The fish all made it back here in fine form.
 
I always have some form of self-levelling mat under my tanks. Even if they are on a flat surface, I will still use one. Gives me peace of mind :)
 
I have used 3 methods for leveling tanks. Which one depends on two factors. The first is the stand itself and the second is the nature of the floor.

This house has no basement and is build on a concrete slab. This means we have covered the slab with a wood flooring. The design of the house is that it is a split level with about a 2 foot difference between the two levels. It also have very high ceilings with the peak of the ceiling being over 15 - 17 feet above the floor depending on which level. Yhe concrete floor gets pretty cool to cold.

As a result for many years all the flooring was made of hardwood tiles which had a 1/4 inch of styrofoam on the bottom to help insulate. These tiles are common in apartment buildings but not so common in individual home and these days are almost impossible to find. Last year we replace the flooring on the lower level. I have never had tanks on the lower level. I also have tanks in our second building which has plywood flooring. In my fish space there the floor is cover in vinyl self stick tiles. Finally, I also used to put simmer tanks up one the screen terrace which has ceramic tiles.

As for stands I have three types. One are he tradition iron stands which only support the frame on a tank. The other are wooden stands which I have built myself with one exception which are my two tank in-wall tanks which I hired a skilled carpenter to custom build for me. These only show the glass front of the tanks. The frames and edges are hidden. This set-up was built perfectly level and 20+ years later still are.

Most of my wooden stands only support tanks on 2x4s on edge which means the support only under the frames. I initially built a few wooden stands which had a full sheet of plywood as the top. I no longer use any of those. But when I did they were always leveled using shims under any of the 4 legs needed to level the tank. This is also how I leveled a few of the metal stands. Because of the flooring the tiles under the legs can compress from the weight over time. Some of them have a small block of oak under each leg to help distribute he weight but they still needed shims in many cases.

The issue with the wood stands with the top only supporting the frames but the bottom being a full plywood surface is that the 2x4s on edge do not offer a smooth surface. I wanted to compensate for this. My solution was to use Self Adhesive Foam Tape Weather Stripping. The adhesive is only sticky on one side. This comes in a vaiety of widths and thicknesses. I would use 11/ to 1 inch wide foam which a adhered to the surface of the 2x4s where the tank frames would rest. The weight of the tank would compress the foam where needed and the result was a leveled tank.

iu


There is only one drawback to this. If I have to remove the tank from the stand the insulation in places will stick to the frame of the tank despite no adhesive involved. This is due to how much weight sits on the foam and how over time this cause it to attach to the tank. This means one must spend time scraping it off. I do not move the stands much and I only discovered this issue when I was tanking tanks down for good and wanted to be able to sell them. I hade to remove the stuck on foam.

But my primary leveling had been the wooden shims. I will set the tank on the stand an partly fill it wih water to make it heavier. Then I do the shimming, drain the tank and proceed to set it up in the normal way. Substrate first, water next. For most tanks the water may go in in stages so I can add decor and live plants.

It is a lot easier to plant a tank in stages, IMO. I will put in about 1/3 of the water and them plant the foreground. I then add more water and plant the mid=ground and finally I put in more water to add in the background plants. I also add a lot of the decor during the first two plant stages. It is hard to add taller plants in the rear if there is not enough water to support them fully. Otherwise, they useally will flop over. This can be a real PITA in getting the look the way I want it.

Part of the issue I have to handle is that the early flooring tiles with the Styro under them is they compress differently over time and I may have to reship some to fix that. I have learned always to keep shims handy. Also, the summer tanks going onto the tiling on the terrace where level floors were not as critical as those in the house proper made it necessary to ship almost all the stands. the floor is gently sloped and also had minor depressions where what can puddle as a good rains can cover the floor with water. The furniture etc on the terrace is piled into a corner and the cushions are removed in the early fall and put back in the late spring. The floor needs to be hose down and washed due to the spring pollen and year round dust than can accumulate.

Here are some pics which will illustrate the above info:

150 and 125 on stands I built in place. Note the black line under the tank framed stand. It is the weather stripping. The 125 has a black frame making it impossible to see the stripping.

IMG_0600.webp


Terrace stands with shims.
1786895183468.webp


Wood stand in the fish space
1786895645781.webp


Another homemade wood stand on the styro backed wood tiles. The from left leg has hard to see shims under it.
1786896129134.webp


(edited for a ton of typos)
 
Last edited:

Most reactions

Back
Top