New tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Once you have your glass cut. lay the pieces of glass on a flat surface where they are going to be on the tank (Remember this tank is not going anywhere for ten days). So, on the base run a bead of silicone right around the edge, where the sides will sit, then on one end run a bead of silicone down the edge that will meet the back or front piece. (You now need some duct tape and an extra pair of hands) lift the front or back into place and slide the end into meet it (duct tape the join to hold it), go to the other end, silicone the edge and slide it into place, (duct tape the join). Now you have three sides in place. You are left with the front or back, run a bead up the edges and then with help place it on the base and move it into place (duct tape the joins). Now run a small bead of silicone around the inside of the tank and use your finger to flatten it out. (Less is more). You never want glass on glass and you are aiming for about 1-2mm between the pieces of glass. Run your finger around all joins on the outside of the tank as well to smooth them out.
I really hope this makes sense, if not let me know. And I will try again.
Do all the sides rest on the base plate? Or do you place the sides around the edges of the base? Does that make sense how I worded it?

I’ve watched a couple diy YouTube’s so I have a basic understanding of what goes into it. But they also don’t answer my questions above

Do all the sides rest on the base plate? Or do you place the sides around the edges of the base? Does that make sense how I worded it?

I’ve watched a couple diy YouTube’s so I have a basic understanding of what goes into it. But they also don’t answer my questions above
All the sides sit on the base plate

It depends on who makes the tank. Some people have the sides on top of the base. Other people have the sides around the edge (on the side) of the base.

In Australia most tank builders have the sides on the side of the base. The base sits inside the tank.

It doesn't really matter though, you can build it either way, sides on top of the base, or sides around the edge (on side) of the base.

Most reactions

trending

Back