New tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

FishNturt808

Fish Crazy
2x Fish of the Month šŸŒŸ
Reaction score
Hey gang, have any of you ordered a tank online? What are some of the sites? Iā€™ve looked on Amazon, nothing amazing, nor what Iā€™m ideally looking for. Aqueon used to make a 30 gallon that would have been the closest resemblance to what I want (axolotl tank in the works).

@itiwhetu whats your process for making a tank? Iā€™m pretty handy, I donā€™t have the tools to cut glass, but what Iā€™m looking for (long and low, no more than 12-16ā€ high), seems to be impossible to get where Iā€™m at (you probably have similar issues being in New Zealand, Iā€™m in Maui).

Thanks all

I ordered my 20g as a kit on amazon. The equipment it comes with is not worth it though.
I order my other tanks from petco for in-store pick up. Not the best tanks but they work

I ordered my 20g as a kit on amazon. The equipment it comes with is not worth it though.
I order my other tanks from petco for in-store pick up. Not the best tanks but they work
Yeah, Iā€™ve gotten most, if not all of my tanks from Petco, but being on an island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean has its downside with them. Very limited supply, they never do the $1 per gallon sale, and the tanks are marked up a decent amount. A 40 breeder is $140 here.

Yeah, Iā€™ve gotten most, if not all of my tanks from Petco, but being on an island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean has its downside with them. Very limited supply, they never do the $1 per gallon sale, and the tanks are marked up a decent amount. A 40 breeder is $140 here.
Wow. That's crazy!

If you inspect them really well they should be safe. You could even reseal the edges if that would make you feel better.
I prefer new. A lot of the tanks that do go up for sale (3 on Craigslist right now) are stained and, again, overpriced.
Thatā€™s why Iā€™m looking for an online option, or info on how to build one myself. šŸ¤™šŸ½

I'm not a big Facebook person, but Facebook Marketplace seems to have a lot of used tanks for sale, and I live in a small-medium sized town. I have bought a tank from SevenPorts online. I can only say that the one I purchased is doing just fine, fwiw.

Hey gang, have any of you ordered a tank online? What are some of the sites? Iā€™ve looked on Amazon, nothing amazing, nor what Iā€™m ideally looking for. Aqueon used to make a 30 gallon that would have been the closest resemblance to what I want (axolotl tank in the works).

@itiwhetu whats your process for making a tank? Iā€™m pretty handy, I donā€™t have the tools to cut glass, but what Iā€™m looking for (long and low, no more than 12-16ā€ high), seems to be impossible to get where Iā€™m at (you probably have similar issues being in New Zealand, Iā€™m in Maui).

Thanks all
Once you have your glass cut. lay the pieces of glass on a flat surface where they are going to be on the tank (Remember this tank is not going anywhere for ten days). So, on the base run a bead of silicone right around the edge, where the sides will sit, then on one end run a bead of silicone down the edge that will meet the back or front piece. (You now need some duct tape and an extra pair of hands) lift the front or back into place and slide the end into meet it (duct tape the join to hold it), go to the other end, silicone the edge and slide it into place, (duct tape the join). Now you have three sides in place. You are left with the front or back, run a bead up the edges and then with help place it on the base and move it into place (duct tape the joins). Now run a small bead of silicone around the inside of the tank and use your finger to flatten it out. (Less is more). You never want glass on glass and you are aiming for about 1-2mm between the pieces of glass. Run your finger around all joins on the outside of the tank as well to smooth them out.
I really hope this makes sense, if not let me know. And I will try again.

Thanks all
What size tank did you want to make because you need different thickness glass for different sized tanks?

What size tank did you want to make because you need different thickness glass for different sized tanks?
6mm glass is the minimum, you can look up safety factors for aquariums that tell you what thickness your glass needs to be.

I want something around 30 gallons. Aqueon used to make one, basically a 10 gallon larger version of a 20 long. Itā€™s gonna be an axolotl tank.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back