New Tank Advice?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

I disagree with people giving a definite "no" to bettas living in a community tank. As with all animals, it depends on their personality.

While bettas don't necessarily need any tank mates, I've found depending on the fish, it can work very well. I have my two bettas, Ares and Aphrodite, set up in a 20 gallon. Originally, Ares was in a 5 gallon, but he always seemed very friendly, so I wanted to move him into the 20 gallon that housed my Corys and Aphrodite. I watched him like a hawk, but he never showed any aggression towards the catfish or Aphrodite. In fact, he seemed to like hanging out with them. I would often see him swimming around, and occasionally just chilling with the Corys. Although overall just ignoring Aphrodite, much to her disappointment. The only issue I have with Ares in the I used to have a betta that I would never even attempt t gallon is his eats the pellets meant for the catfish. My past betta was aggressive, so I would never consider putting him with other fish. So, if your betta seems like he might be friendly, I say go for it. Just make sure to put the other fish in first before introducing Swim Shady (great name btw) so he doesn't establish the whole tank as his territory. I would also keep your 5 gallon set up for a while, just in case he starts being aggressive.

Just make sure you inspect the other fish in the tank, for any sign of nipping or fighting, even if he's been in the tank for a while and shown no aggression. Although I suggest that with any community tank

As for other fish mates, I of course suggest Corys. They're a schooling fish and they are really fun to watch. Neon tetras, snails, and white cloud minnows are good options too.

I suggest Amazon Sword, Java Fern, Anubis, and Dwarf Baby tears for plants. I've had a lot of success with the multiple varieties of these plants, and I really don't pay much attention to my aquarium plants.

Look, some peoples betta can cope with other fish, itā€™s just not a good idea. Bettas arenā€™t meant to be community fish. For example, my betta will live with other creatures (shrimp and snails) even fish. But he doesnā€™t like it. Even if he doesnā€™t attack the other fish, doesnā€™t mean heā€™s not happy. Now I know what youā€™re thinking, ā€œ@PheonixKingZ, what in earth are you getting at?ā€ What Iā€™m getting at is this: Sooner or later your betta will snap and heā€™ll kill everything in that tank. Itā€™s not good for your, or the betta.

Look, some peoples betta can cope with other fish, itā€™s just not a good idea. Bettas arenā€™t meant to be community fish. For example, my betta will live with other creatures (shrimp and snails) even fish. But he doesnā€™t like it. Even if he doesnā€™t attack the other fish, doesnā€™t mean heā€™s not happy. Now I know what youā€™re thinking, ā€œ@PheonixKingZ, what in earth are you getting at?ā€ What Iā€™m getting at is this: Sooner or later your betta will snap and heā€™ll kill everything in that tank. Itā€™s not good for your, or the betta.
Iā€™m not sure I can agree with this. I did a community with betta and never had an issue. I think they are challenging but not impossible and thereā€™s no guarantee theyā€™ll kill anybody.
I donā€™t think there is any evidence of them having issues with snails either.
as for the idea previously mentioned of pheromone, biologically likely in any tank, but bigger tanks and regular water changes are the answer. Keep in
Mind that just because one kind of fish puts off pheromone doesnā€™t mean the others are stressed by or even notice itā€™s there in the same way that animals around us put it off all the time and we are oblivious

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back