The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jnms

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
UPDATE: New photo showing the marks on the head:

severum11.jpg

I've posted this image in the 'Tropical Emergencies' section, though Wilder recommended that I also post here in case someone can provide further help.

I got a pair of new severum, and just noticed that one of them has 'strange' marks above and to the side of its eyes. Here is a photo:

severum3.jpg

The other severum doesn't seem to have these marks. Any ideas what they are?

They look like war wounds to be honest, that havent healed very well, keep the water pristine and hopefully they wont get worse, if they do start to look worse or get infected, then add some external bacteria med. Also if you can, get them on some good quality cichlid pellets that will have the vitamins etc that they need for healthy growth.

Just read your post in TE, there is always a chance it could be HITH and if it is, getting a decent med in the UK for it, is not easy I believe. Good water quality and good food is the best way to stop it before it gets bad, the scars may not heal, so long as they dont get worse he should be fine.

They look like war wounds to be honest, that havent healed very well, keep the water pristine and hopefully they wont get worse, if they do start to look worse or get infected, then add some external bacteria med. Also if you can, get them on some good quality cichlid pellets that will have the vitamins etc that they need for healthy growth.

Thanks minxfishy. It does indeed look like they have been through the wars, a fair bit of fin damage and other such marks from the LFS.

Just keep an eye on it, but really as I said, if it is hexmita bacteria infection, the best thing to do is to feed good quality food that contains vitamins and even feed extra vitamins a couple of times a week, 20-50% w/c every few days (keep the water temp stable though so as not to shock them), you could raise the temp to around 80-82" (if it isnt already, but not really necessary) and how true this is Im not sure, but some say that carbon in the filters can be a cause of HITH, so if you have any, remove it.

Just keep an eye on it, but really as I said, if it is hexmita bacteria infection, the best thing to do is to feed good quality food that contains vitamins and even feed extra vitamins a couple of times a week, 20-50% w/c every few days (keep the water temp stable though so as not to shock them), you could raise the temp to around 80-82" (if it isnt already, but not really necessary) and how true this is Im not sure, but some say that carbon in the filters can be a cause of HITH, so if you have any, remove it.

Cheers. I brought some Cichlid Gold with the severum, I am under the impression this is quite good food?

Thanks for the advice. If it does turn out to be HITH, is shouldn't be fatal should it?

Cichlid gold is a very good staple food for them, another is tetra doromin, plus as treats, they love Prawns (shrimp), bloodworm, garden worms (clean them 1st).

If it is HITH and I dont think it is, then no so long as it is treated early it should clear up quickly although often leaves the scars.

Well, may not be Cichlid related but, HLLE and HITH head are atually not just cichlid diseases, one of the members on another site (actually rivalling this site on Aquarank and Aquaria Fish Links) FWmadness, the admin Saint_Felony rescues fish and has rescued a Featherfin Sydontis with HLLE and HITH. I do think that is HITH though, unless it was pecked at by many Convict fry in the head area, I've seen pics of Con fry meant as food, chew up a Tiger Shovelnose. Some TLC and W/C should heal it fast.

Just an update on this - I managed to get a much better photo. The marks do seem to be healing up slowly.

Maybe this photo gives a clearer indication of what the marks actually are:

severum10.jpg

You already got perfect advise. I just want to say awesome photos so clear they came out perfect. What kind of camera do you use? Beside the head wounds he looks good nice color.

I would love to see more photos of your fish I bet you have sone good ones.

Thanks snowflake311 :)

My camera is a Canon EOS 450D - I have been practising with the camera quite a lot lately. I will get some more photos of my fish uploaded and let you know when they are up. :)

Thanks snowflake311 :)

My camera is a Canon EOS 450D - I have been practising with the camera quite a lot lately. I will get some more photos of my fish uploaded and let you know when they are up. :)

That's a sweet SLR. Pretty new right? With a camera like that you must be some what in photography. Can't wait to see more photos

Man these guys really do make me wish I had spent that extra £100 to get the Rio 300 *sigh*

That's a sweet SLR. Pretty new right? With a camera like that you must be some what in photography. Can't wait to see more photos

Yes, I am into photography, I had been after an SLR for a long time. The 450D was released about 18months ago. I'm still learning at the moment, sorry for the delay in getting back to the thread. I will get those other photos posted.

I have a olympic E 410 it's a few years old .A nice Slr can really help get the best out your photos .

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back