New & Need Help - Our Balas Are Dying

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Andrea1980

Reaction score
I need some help. (Sorry this is so much to read).Ā I have a new 20 gallon tank that's been set up for 3 weeks and we've lost 2 littleĀ (1 1/2") balas, but our rainbow (2") is doing just fine. The tank was set up for 4 days before we put any fish in. We know the balasĀ will need a MUCH bigger tank as they grow (this was just a starter one). The waterĀ looks a little cloudy or bubbly, but levels are testing within the normal / safe parameters.
When we got the first bala, he sat at the bottom of the tank and started twitching. After a day or so, he started swimming around & seemed ok except for continuously nosing the side of the tank (and he still twitched constantly) and then he would suspend in the water with his tail up, sometimes rolling over & sinking.Ā I took him back to the pet store & they said he was sleeping & just fine. The other balas in the storeĀ tank did the tail up thing too. So we got him a friend, brought them home. The next day, bala 1 started swimming, would stop, and sink to the bottom. When he hit the bottom, he would start swimming again. (Again pet store said this was normal and water levels are good). 2 days later the first bala had white spots all over. We treated for Ich that day, woke up the next day & he was dead. Meanwhile bala 2 was eating normally (a lot) and grew to the same size as bala 1. Then bala 2 started not eating as much (figured it was from the Ich meds) and started acting sluggish & swimming slowly & within a couple days, he was doing the same things as bala 1. (last Ich treatment was almost a week ago). Woke up this morning & bala 2 is dead. The rainbow still seems just fine. He hides in his ship sometimes and swims all around the tank and eats good. Any suggestions on what happened to the balas?

THANK YOU!!! How do IĀ fix ammonia problem as I still have a rainbow in the tank?
I'm currently looking for a new store.. Know any near Ann Arbor, Michigan?

I agree with TwoTank, your fish are being poisoned by their own waste, you need to buy a test kit such as the Api one & be doing large daily water changes to try & save your remaining fish, & do read that link.
Many people buy Bala sharks & other potentially large fish, with the intention to upgrade as they grow, but circumstances can change & that 6 ft tank the fish need doesn't materialise.
I do wish Lfs would stop selling these fish & telling people they'll be fine in small tanks until they grow, not your fault btw Op, you were wrongly advised, as Two Tank said, change your Lfs

Thank you too, Fishaholic. I told these stupid people I know absolutely NOTHING about having a tank before I even bought it! So frustrating.
I'm reading the link now. I really want to save the rainbow (he's the only one left). We did a little research before deciding on the balas & definitely have a plan in place for getting a much larger tank, but apparently not enough research... Sorry... I feel absolutely horrible.

oh no.. Is this all because I used distilled water when I initially filled the tank?

You are about 25 miles from one of the better lfs in the country. It is called Fantastic Fins and it is at 38131 Ann Arbor Rd, Livonia, MI 48150 and you can call them at (734) 464-3523.
Ā 
Chris and Dale are the owners- Dale is one of the more expert pleco breeders I have had the pleasure to chat with online. I have some of his fish. You will get nothing but the best advice and healthiest fish from these gents.
Ā 
100% distilled water is most unhealthy for aquatic life for any length of time. All of the minerals etc. that are important for life have been removed. Moreover all the things that keep water parameters stable are also absent. What is wrong with your tap water that you cannot use it?

You are so awesome!!! I'm calling them right now.
Our tap water is really rusty and hard. Should I use it in the tank or keep buying distilled water for water changes?
Ā 
I have the 5-in-1 color pad test strips...
pH testing at about 6.8
KH about 70 - 80
Hardness about 75
NO2 at 0
NO3 at 0
??

Andrea- you can mix distilled and tap water. This lets you dilute some of the things you don't want but insures you still have some that you do. Distilled water has no KH. This means you must keep an eye on your pH as it is HK that helps keep pH stable. I realize that this is all a lot to take in and make sense of. I would like to send you to another site where they explain it all in pretty easy to understand terms.
Ā 
Go to http://fins.actwin.com/aquariafaq.html then click on "Your First Aquarium" and start reading. You may want to read some things more than once. this information will give you some good grounding as to what is what in the average aquarium. I used this site when I was starting up in the hobby in 2001. It is still one of the best places for basic info I have found.
Ā 
Btw- most folks will try to get fish that work in their water rather than trying to alter their water chemistry. While this can be done it is neither simple nor easy and is not recommended for new fish keepers. Mixing distilled (or reverse osmosis) water with one's tap is about as simple and easy as one can get in this respect.

Thank you SO MUCH for all of your help. Fantastic Fins opens in a little over an hour so I'm going to call them. I failed chemistry in school so all of this is greek to me... sorry, but thank you. I read the links, but still don't know what to do to fix it. I used the Tetra Start Zyme when setting up the tank with distilled water and the Easy Balance last Sunday and had to use the Ich treatment... I just don't want to put in anymore chemicalsĀ and risk hurting the rainbow so I'll call them and find outĀ what I need to do to ensure allĀ will beĀ ok. Thank you again. I'm not sure what I would have done without your help!!Ā 

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back