New Malawi Setup.comments Please.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mbuna Dave

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
A picture of my new Malawi tank after a major re-fit from a community tank.
No fish yet,just waiting for all parameters to be met.Hopefully this weekend.
Please comment on anything you like, good or bad.
I know the pic is a tad dark,i am just getting to grips with aquarium photography.

:)

fishtank.jpg

Thanks Timmy.

I will be adding some Java fern but not sure what else as the malawi`s would soon eat them up.
Any suggestions about plants?

If you want the right water perameter fr 1 get the bogwood out. The PH might be ok now bu tin time it will get lower. And i have java fern wich is doing well in my malawis tank it generally does because of the bad taste.

Thanks everyone.I am quite pleased and looking forward to shopping this weekend. :)

By the way Ginge,you said to remove the bogwood.There is only one piece of bogwood in the tank but there are two pieces of Mopani wood,would this also need to be removed?

Thanks Sam

I have just checked my PH and it read 7.5,so i removed the one piece of bogwood and left the two pieces of Mopani still in the tank.I shall also get some Java fern because it will stop the tank looking too sterile and will be more pleasing to the eye.

just be careful when putting plants in a malawi tank that they are not continually dug up.my boss fish thinks it is a JCB digger.thats why my tank is so sterile looking.i put it in,my boss fish will dig it up lol.

do you run an external filter guppy dave????? if so,you can always put some coral gravel in your external filter.this would keep the ph at approx 8.

Hi Rixy.

My tank is a Juwel 260,so i have the internal filter which is matured and two weeks ago i installed an Eheim 2224 external filter but because it is new i expect it not to be mature yet.The water though is looking crystal.

I also thought that the ocean rock would increase the PH but then again i only added it this weekend so will that have been enough time to up the PH.

And what do you think of the Chemical addives i have seen called PH Up by Tetra (i think thats what its called).

Keep the advice coming,there is never not enough knowledge to learn. :)

i would never use ph up etc etc.coral gravel/sand is an excellant way of increasing your ph.bogwood/peat is just as good at making your ph lower.coral gravel/coral sand should make your ph max at 8 which is perfect for malawi's.

the java fern would be tied to the rocks or bogwood, so i dont think he has to be worrieda about them being dug up.

Yes,i would attach them with fishing wire if that is ok.

Should i also be concerned with airation or is this just for cosmetic reasons,both the filters provide bags of surface water movemnet.?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back