New Guppy Tank Need Bottom Dwellers?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jammyjames59

Reaction score
hi recently i have brought a new fish tank (FAIRLY BIG) (over 20 litre at least) and i have got around 5 guppies in it male and female.I saw some crayfish on youtube and i like them but i heard they can eat guppies, i also went to my local pet store and saw some corys' and i liked them too! (i don't want a plec because i already have 1)

so is there any bottom dwellers that don't eat guppies???? except from plecs?

suggestions i was thinking of ---
-crab(s) ? - will they climb out of my tank?
-lobster/crayfish - will they eat my gups?
-pleco - i don't want 1 cus i already have a common !
-corys - i don't want more than 2?

help!!! lol :rolleyes: :shifty: :shifty: :shifty: :shifty: :shifty:

I've never had crab, lobster, or crayfish but I've heard that they will try to get a hold of your fish. The fish are usually quick enough, but you never know. Have you looked into shrimp (e.g. ghost, cherry, etc.)? :D

Sorry, not to be mean, but a 5 gallon tank is pretty small to me. Maybe pygmy cories would be okay. Probably better to try a few shrimp. And I'd definately rehome any plecs.

hello again,
my pleco is in a bigger aquarium THANK You!!! and it always has been
and this tank isnt as small as you think theres lots of ground space!!!

how much are shrimp in the uk average and will gups eat them need more info on them.... plz

Well if you don't want more than 2 cories don't bother as they are shoaling fish and a 20-30L wont really support 5 guppies and 4-5 corys. No pleco would be happy in that tank, here is a pic I found on google of a commen plec:

nickv_pleco_072806.jpg

No crayfish or crabs either.

No need to get angry as most people think that too. If you have a 60L tank 15 gallons it is not big enough for 1 let alone 2, for 1 common plec your looking at a tank well over 200-300L as they can get to 60cm and produce a ton of waste which your filter can't cope with. Either way it is not a big enough tank I'm sorry to sound harsh but it is the facts, you look up common plec on google and look what all the websites say.

"and it always has been
and this tank isnt as small as you think theres lots of ground space!!!"

If your tank is just over 60L (12 gallons) the plec will probably grow to the length of the tank.

Did a bit more reasearch and found this topic you posted:

hiya,
i have had 3 common plecos in total and only 1 has survived.......
i have had him 1 year and 2 months but hes only grown a tad.
i have been feeding him algae tablets and cucumber for the last 3 months but for the other months hes been eating algae off my tank.
he's about 3 inches and in a tank with: 3 zebra danios, 2 red robin gourmais and lots of guppies!!!
im not sure what size my tank is but its fairly big.....defo over 40 litres!

thanks, hope you can answer my question(s)

The reply you got:

If you want him to grow then it's very simple...give him the correct conditions to grow:

Tank Size : 50gal which as it grows will eventually need upgrading to a 100gal +
Feed it the correct diet: Algae wafer + tablets that are high in Spirulina aswell as some sinking cichlid pellets might be a good idea. Then as a treat / supplement, courgette and baby spinach are both good ideas.
Regular water changes of 20-30% a week.

Simple as that.

Sorry just thinking of the welfare of the fish, I hope you don't think I am having a go at you and that you will take it the right way.

-crab(s) ? - will they climb out of my tank?
-lobster/crayfish - will they eat my gups?
-pleco - i don't want 1 cus i already have a common !
-corys - i don't want more than 2?

Like all the other's
Crab/lobster/cray's are a no no, as they will easily catch sleeping guppies and eat them.
Pleco's nope, could get 1 clown if it's the only pleco in the tank or perhaps an oto.
Cory's want to be in groups of at least 6 fish.

20l is very small still and you will need to do 2 water changes a week to keep all the toxins down.
Are the guppies the only thing u have currently in it?

yo wazzzuuuupppp james, i got the same tank as him and it is 7gallon and its got quite a lot of floor space and is a lot wider than taller, brad :)

wassssuuupp brad!!! thanks for agreeing that the tank isnt a small #### hole! they think my tank is a bowl and is tiny !lol :hyper: :good: ty James,

is your tank 7g or 12g like it says in your sigand in that 12g you need to get red of the 2 common plecs and need to have twice asmany females as males so i would take back 3 males and up the females to 6

I never said it was tiny. I had a 60l tank, they are just too small for common plecos. They are a good size for livebearers such as guppies, platies, swordtails though.

Why don't you listen? I am only trying to help you not insult you, as I have answered your questions to your previous topics.

Tank sizes:
5-20L pico tank
25-60L nano tank
Around 100L medium
250+ large

I think that is how the tank sizes go.

Most reactions

trending

Back