New Bullivion Rams

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Your tank seems to be a bit unsuitably stocked, and over stocked, IMO purchasing more fish is a bad idea, also. purchasing 2 was an indeed worn choice as they are particularly aggresive fish and keeping 2 if any gender, or purchasing a none proven pair will also result in disaster most likely because there is a very slim chance that they actually will breed.... but I will still provide a bit of information on this beautiful fish

Bolivion Rams (Microgeophagus altispinosa)

Minimum Tank Size
These are somewhat territorial fish when kept in smaller tanks which means that they ideally should have the space to swim and explore. A tank of along the lines of a 15 gallon long, or a 20 gallon standard would best suit these fish, and you should expect there full potential in a tank of the sizes that I have recommended

Temperature Requirements
These fish aren't very picky about temperature and will tolerate a range from 75-80 to still be very healthy and exhibit exquisite behavior. where as other rams such as German Blue Rams Microgeophagus ramirezi will do much better in the higher end of temperatures around 80. and no lower than 78

Sexing/breeding
Sexual dimorphism is rather limited with males larger in size and showing longer extensions on both the caudal and the posterior of the dorsal fins; these characteristics are more reliable in mature fish. Examination of the ovipositor can sometimes also indicate sex with the female displaying a larger, rounder appearance to pass eggs through, while the male displays a more pointed appearance; this may only be evident when the fish is ready to spawn. The photo above on the right shows a pair (upper fish male, lower female) over a clutch of eggs. The Bolivian ram is a substrate spawner, laying the eggs in a depression in the substrate or on a flat rock or piece of wood cleaned by the female. Both parents, though primarily the female, fan the eggs and the female tends the fry while the male defends the territory.

Read more: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/profiles/bolivian-ram/#ixzz1qpwkRjgp

Tank Preference
I have seen Bolivion Rams thriving in a wide range of setups ranging from fake plants, and high lighting to multiple caves and plants with moderate lighting But I have noticed a substantially large, positive difference between setups such as these and setups concerning Dense planting, multiple rock formations, caves to hide in, and similar structures to establish territory, and to feel secure.

Bolivian rams.

Well.

They're fish.

They're pretty.

:good:

kinda hard to tell you more about them when you don't ask what you wanna know

Thank you fishy friend 2 well i took out my sunburst wag platy and marygold varidous platy and i will be taking out my 2 glass catfish

and ondrise well thats nice to know there pretty :blink:

Well my dad suggested that i also take out the kulie but hes old and seems happy in my tank but i might just take them out and put them in my dads 20 gallon sand tank

Congrats on your new Rams Zach! I got some too and I love them already. I have a lot to learn about them to. I am trying to get a good picture to put on your "Show your fish" thread.

I'm unloading the (5) Glowlights that currently reside in my 20 gallon on my father, Zach's Grandpa. Probably next weekend. Having them at all is what happens when Grandpa picks out fish for his Grandson............I just might unload the Glass Cats on Grandpa too. He has a very understocked, but poorly stocked 29 gallon. It has sand substrate, a double power filter & decent lighting. His current stock is:

(1) Pictus Catfish
(1) Lyretail Molly
(3) Serpae Tetras
(3) Black Phantom Tetras
(3) Black Skirt Tetras
(5) Julii Corys

I'll give him:

(2) Glass Catfish
(1) Kuhli Loach

For HIs 10 Gallon I'll give him:

(5) Glowlight Tetras

If it were up to me we wouldn't have any Platys, Glass Cats or Kuhlis (Sorry Crossfire) :lol:

If ruskull? (your dad) has the space for a proper school then I would highly recommend that you transfer them

I don't have the space for a proper school, nor do I want one. Glass Cats hide too much for me.

Not a good idea to put the kuhli with a pictus catfish IMO. Kuhlis are rather.. well.. wormy.. and pictus catfish are predatory. And pretty big.

If ruskull? (your dad) has the space for a proper school then I would highly recommend that you transfer them
We might be giving him to my grandpa

Congrats on your new Rams Zach! I got some too and I love them already. I have a lot to learn about them to. I am trying to get a good picture to put on your "Show your fish" thread.
Thanks im very surprised that there not trying to kill any body :lol:

lol I don't think they are more aggressive then my gouramis. Occasionally my gouramis go near a Ram and they have a little poking battle and then they all go about their business. It doesn't seem too serious though. No more then the chasing games the gouramis are playing. :)

Dont listen to him he is NOT taking out my glowlights

:rolleyes:

See what I'm dealing with?

Maybe we'll just leave the Kuhli where he is in my son's tank. He's a loner now. We originally got his 20 gallon tank as an established tank that included a Sailfin Molly, 5 Neons, 1 Glowlight, 2 Kuhlis and 3 Ghost Shrimp. I don't want to get any more Kuhlis because I have no room for 6 scavengers in any of my tanks. I prefer Corys.............

Not a good idea to put the kuhli with a pictus catfish IMO. Kuhlis are rather.. well.. wormy.. and pictus catfish are predatory. And pretty big.

Noted. His Pictus is about 3 inches long at the moment & the Kuhli is closer to 4 inches. I don't know, maybe if & when my dad changes his 10 gallon substrate to sand. We'll see.

I don't see how one little kuhli will make a difference in your 20g if you wanted to keep it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back