šŸ  May TOTM Voting is Live! šŸ 
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
šŸ† Click here to Vote! šŸ†

The Java Fern doesn't like having its rhizome buried in the substrate and usually does better when it is tied to an object like driftwood or an ornament. You can use string, fishing line, super glue or a rubber band to hold the plant's rhizome on the ornament.

Other good plants to try include Hygrophila polysperma, narrow Vallis and Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides).
Water Sprite is a floating plant that can also be planted in the substrate where it grows into a lovely light green shrub. The other plants should be grown in the gravel.
Oh okay, the guy at Aquarium Adventure (where I got them) told me it was ok to put in in substrate. My bad!

Never trust anything a shop worker says!

The thing that looks a bit like a thick root is the rhizome, and this must be above the gravel or it will rot. The thin hair-like roots are OK in the gravel. You could attach one piece to the piece of 'sculpture' but you will need something else for the other piece. Whatever you use, make sure it passes the pantihose test.

That's one thing I like about my lfs, While in general they are fairly knowledgeable, if they are not sure about something they say so, rather than giving the answer they think I want to hear.
Wish this was more common...

Never trust anything a shop worker says!

The thing that looks a bit like a thick root is the rhizome, and this must be above the gravel or it will rot. The thin hair-like roots are OK in the gravel. You could attach one piece to the piece of 'sculpture' but you will need something else for the other piece. Whatever you use, make sure it passes the pantihose test.
I should have known to be wary of the information considering when I bought my beta, the woman tried to tell me I didnā€™t need a 5 gallon tank. Heck, she said, you donā€™t even need a filter or heater! ā€œHers was in a bowl and sheā€™d had him a yearā€ (completely different store)
My art piece passes the test, all of its edges are nice and rounded. Iā€™m on my way to get an additional piece right now!

Last night Mr. Fiji was exhibiting some signs of constipation and/or swim bladder issues. I was planning on beginning the pea treatment today however when I woke up he was already gone. I'm shocked and heartbroken. I'm going to order another testing kit to double check my water quality but otherwise I'm at a loss.

I'm very shaken and don't know how to proceed. I'm going to restock the tank at a later date, but until then I'm not sure on hows to sanitize my tank in preparation for a new betta.

sorry to hear he died :(

If you were still doing regular water changes the water should be ok, but you can check it if you like. There might be an ammonia reading caused by the dead fish.

If there is nothing else in the tank, I would drain the tank and wash it all out with fresh water, then fill it with tap water (no dechlorinator) and add a heap of salt. You want a thick layer (couple of inches) of salt on the bottom and just let it run. The salt will dissolve into the water and kill off most of the nasties. After 24 hours you drain the tank and fill it up with fresh water. Drain it and refill it a couple of times. Then refill with fresh water and add dechlorinator. Let it run for a few days before looking for new fish.

The live plants can be rinsed under tap water and put into a container of tap water while the tank has salt in. You can change the water with the plants each day. Do not use a dechlorinator in the container with the plants. You want the chlorine/ chloramine in the tap water to kill anything on the plants.

Many of the most common fish parasites die after a month or more without a host.
What Colin is suggesting would completely kill any filter bacteria that may have gotten established...
Cycling a tank from scratch takes a few weeks not days, and without an ammonia source, it won't cycle at all.
I really need to write an article to address the careless attitude towards ammonia by some of the members here that should know better.

Until then, without fish, you can do a fishless cycle, just make sure you use pure ammonia with no surfacents soap, or detergents in the ingredients list.

Going to repost the link to fishless cycling.
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/

The calculator at the bottom of this page will help you find the right amount of ammonia to use.

http://www.fishforums.net/aquarium-calculator.htm

Whilst most external parasites like protozoa will die within a week or so without a host, we don't know what killed the Betta. If it was an internal bacterial infection the bad bacteria that caused the problem will still be in the tank. Same as a fungal infection. These pathogens can remain dormant for months while they wait for a new host and as soon as a fish gets introduced, there is a possibility it will be infected.

Whilst flushing the tank out and salting it up will kill the beneficial filter bacteria, the tank had only been set up for 2 weeks and won't have much to lose.

In my opinion, flushing out the tank has more benefits by removing most, if not all of the harmful organisms in it. And this is better for any new fish that the OP might get in the future. Ok, so they have no filter bacteria but they didn't 2 weeks ago when they first got the fish. They can do a fishless cycle on the tank or do a fish in cycle and keep the feeding down and water changes up.

The choices are there. If they want to flush the tank out they will have a cleaner environment for any new fish. If they don't flush it out, any new fish might have the same problem.

My water was fine, as expected (I'd been doing twice weekly water changes ever since I first posted this thread). As Colin mentioned my ammonia did register using an API test kit although it was very little. Sadly I think Fiji was just ill from the beginning.

That being said, I've found a much better pet store with better informed/more helpful staff. They also have a far larger selection of both bettas and fish supplies in general, so that will be my go-to unless it's an absolute emergency (It's a ~50 minute drive).

All in all, thank you guys for ll your help and advice. I appreciate it and I'm sure Fiji did too <3. I'll be sure to return when I've done what I need to do and decide it's time to get another betta.
Ciao! :thumbs:

But still don't believe the new shop till you've run it past the forum. Even the best shop workers don't know everything.

But still don't believe the new shop till you've run it past the forum. Even the best shop workers don't know everything.
Yeah I mostly meant it was my new go to for getting supplies/decorations/etc and simply because they have a larger selection. Their tanks are also larger and cleaner and the fish look healthier in general, but I wasnā€™t going to be taking advice from them or anything

Most reactions

Back