April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Olivia.Doiron

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here. I'm not really experienced with fish, but I do want to make sure that I take care of them correctly. I recently got a new Betta at my local pet store, the owner is a huge fish lover and has had the store for over 30 years, I trust them immensely and go there instead of Petco and PetSmart. I'd just like to share a few photos of my Betta to make sure there's nothing wrong with him, I don't know a lot about Betta dieases so Id like someone else's opinion to spot anything wrong with him. He's a Halfmoon male. Sorry for the isnane amount of photos, but he's quite feisty and won't stay still :)

Attachments

• IMG_3654.JPG
    IMG_3654.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 199
  • IMG_3655.JPG
    IMG_3655.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 164
  • IMG_3656.JPG
    IMG_3656.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 194
  • IMG_3658.JPG
    IMG_3658.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 195
  • IMG_3661.JPG
    IMG_3661.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 173
  • IMG_3668.JPG
    IMG_3668.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 196
  • IMG_3675.JPG
    IMG_3675.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 228
Welcome to the forum :)

To take care of your fish, you need test kits for the water and to read up on cycling. Nearly all fish 'diseases' are actually caused by poor water quality.

Get liquid or tablet based ones, not the paper strip kind, and you need tests for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

As you can't know if there is any ammonia or nitrite in the water without tests, you should change half the water everyday, making sure the new water is warmed and dechlorinated.

Ammonia and nitrite are both very toxic and start building up as soon as there is a fish in the tank, unless the tank was fishlessly cycled with ammonia first.

Is your tank heated (I can see a filter), and how big is it? How long has it been running and how long has the fish been in there?

hi and welcome.

i agree that you should do as fluttermoth suggested. it is vitally important and is crucial to your fishes survival.

okay there does not seem to be anything wrong with him (he is really beautiful:kewlpics:) but unfortunately i cant read his mind, or observe his behavior. the only way to tell is through time and a watchful eye. thus please inform us if there are any changes in his behavior, feces, eating patterns, etc,

also how big is his tank and what lighting, water temperature, and filter are you using.:hi:

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back