Neon looking very odd

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ella777

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My neon is looking quite strange lately.
It has a huge head and it's back is very bent, sort of like scoliosis?
He still eats normally but prefers his own space.
I have never done a water change and the fish/plants are fine.
Picture attached, by the way the water is not yellow, it's just the lighting.
They are fed 'Aquarian Complete Nutrition' and frozen bloodworms everyday.

It's a 200l tank with quite a few fish:
1 swordtail
9 guppies
1 panda garra
3 red phantom tetras
10 cardinal tetras
1 neon tetra
6 kuhli loaches (I think)
1 half banded spiny eel

Attachments

• 20230412_153222.jpg
    20230412_153222.jpg
    329 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
A pic of the fish in question may help.

Why no water changes?

I just don't really see the point in doing a 50-75% water change every week as the fish are very healthy and lively.
None of the fish or plants have died since setting up the tank meaning it must be fine.
In my old 70l tank, I had to do a large water change every week as the water turned yellow, but in my 200l it never turns yellow?

They arent great but heres two photo of him.

Attachments

• 20230412_164424.jpg
    20230412_164424.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 20230412_164419.jpg
    20230412_164419.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 27
Have a look at these links, WC's are critical for proper fishkeeping, in the majority of instances...there's a difference between "surviving" and "thriving"

As far as the fish in question, may be a genetic deformity

Last edited:
I know about water changes, but it's a huge tank and removing up to 75% of water is so much.
The fish get so stressed out whenever I do it. The water is crystal clear, the plants do the work!
I also have like 300 trumpet snails that clean up any mess.
Also, I have two very powerful filters that really don't need to be cleaned very often.
One person said he hasn't changed the water for almost a year with the filters and the fish are thriving.

I know about water changes, but it's a huge tank and removing up to 75% of water is so much.
The fish get so stressed out whenever I do it. The water is crystal clear, the plants do the work!
Also, I have two very powerful filters that really don't need to be cleaned very often.
One person said he hasn't changed the water for almost a year with the filters and the fish are thriving.
it would make sense if you had one of those no-filter tanks ( i think its called walstad?) in those tanks you have only a few TINY fish and shrimp
but that is too much fish for keeping such a cycle.
trumpet snails still have a bioload and you should never depend on just them for your tank cleanliness.

i dont think 75% is neccesary for a tank your size, probably a 30 and top off would be ok

How do I treat it? He is eating and swimming around fine by the way.
im pretty sure it is untreatable as for now, so you should separate the fish to not make the disease spread

There are lots of issues with water that we can't see with the naked eye. For example, water changes replenish trace minerals that both fish and plants need. Fish might look ok. But we really don't have any way of truly knowing that they are. They can't tell us. A fish might be gradually suffering some sort of health issue and we won't know until it becomes severe enough to show physical symptoms. All we can do is provide the best environment possible.
You don't have to do a 75% water change every week. That seems a little excessive. But a 25-50% change weekly provides benefits that greatly outweigh any stress on the fish. There are even products that make it easier, like a Python water vacuum.

How do I treat it? He is eating and swimming around fine by the way.
I'm sorry to say that there is no treatment. I don't know if it is that. I know a bent spine is a symptom. IMO, The best thing to do is to put him in a quarantine tank. Whatever he has could be communicable.

I only have one neon tetra, will it still spread to other fish? He's had it for a few weeks, I've noticed it but it looks like it's got worse.

I have a question about the poop, where does it actually go?
Like in my old tank, I used to very clearly see big poops along the bottom.
But I haven't seen one since I set up the tank. I see the fish pooping but nothing actually on the bottom. Are the snails eating it?

Another question, why have none of my fish or plants died?
I know it probably wasn't a great thing to do but as soon as I added the water, I put 5 guppies in.
It was only because they were very stressed in the other tank as a few fish were bullying them.
One of them died a week later as it had been attacked by the others. It was probably very stressed.

After that, I added plants and after a few days I put the other fish in.
I do realise I did not cycle it at all but they're all very healthy.
Why have I not had any casualties??

I only have one neon tetra, will it still spread to other fish? He's had it for a few weeks, I've noticed it but it looks like it's got worse.
We don't know what the issue is. Worst case scenario is some kind of pathogen that could spread. That's why I recommend quarantine.
I have a question about the poop, where does it actually go?
Like in my old tank, I used to very clearly see big poops along the bottom.
But I haven't seen one since I set up the tank. I see the fish pooping but nothing actually on the bottom. Are the snails eating it?
No animal actually eats poop in an aquarium. Plants do in a sense by absorbing nutrients from animal waste.
When a tank is established, poop can break down pretty quickly. That doesn't mean it's gone. It could sink between gravel or turn into mulm on sand. Or become ammonia in the water column. Maybe your plants can handle the bio load. Maybe not. I don't know without knowing your water parameters.
Another question, why have none of my fish or plants died?
I know it probably wasn't a great thing to do but as soon as I added the water, I put 5 guppies in.
It was only because they were very stressed in the other tank as a few fish were bullying them.
One of them died a week later as it had been attacked by the others. It was probably very stressed.

After that, I added plants and after a few days I put the other fish in.
I do realise I did not cycle it at all but they're all very healthy.
Why have I not had any casualties??
But you did have a casualty. You lost a guppy. Being in an uncycled tank weakens fish. For all we know it could have survived if it hadn't been weakened by the environment. Even if there aren't immediate effects, the fishes' lifespan can still be shortened.
I'm not saying any of this to be judgmental. I made the same mistake of putting fish into an uncycled tank. I had to euthanize one because of it. We all make mistakes. All we can do is learn from them and do better moving forward.

Last edited:
Thank you, the water parameters are all normal. I'll have to check again tomorrow.
I did a 30% water change, should I do this every week?
The guppy was very sick, it didn't have a tail and all its scales were turned up. I don't think it would've survived even if I kept it in the original tank.

Thank you, the water parameters are all normal. I'll have to check again tomorrow.
I did a 30% water change, should I do this every week?
The guppy was very sick, it didn't have a tail and all its scales were turned up. I don't think it would've survived even if I kept it in the original tank.
Would you mind sharing what the test results were?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back