carligraceee

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have a betta sorority currently (4 females) and have been super stressed. I was thinking about removing them all and taking them back to the LFS. They just seem to never get along and there is always something wrong. I just don't know if they are worth keeping around with the stress they are implementing on each other and me.

Help me figure this out- my options.

-Take them back to Petco and move male betta into their tank (7g, I know, small for betta sorority but it was working for the longest time)
Male is in a 3.2g tank with no filter and a good cleaning schedule...
-Keep ONE in the tank and take the rest back
-Don't do anything and remove myself from the situation save from cleaning and feeding

I don't know what to do lol

I would return them, or keep one and return the rest. I wouldn't want to do a sorority with nothing less than 5 gallons per fish. From what I can tell, though, you want a minimum of 5 and always in odd numbers. So a minimum of 25-30 gallons.

What Circus said. I think they need a lot more space. A fish community's personality can change over time just like people do. I'd keep one and return the rest, or just take them all back and turn the 7g into a killer shrimp/dwarf catfish/dwarf rasbora tank.

Return the females, move the male to the 7gal if that one has a filter(?), add a filter to the 3.5g if you want to put a fish in it.

I can't wrap my head around putting four bettas in seven gallons of water. Must be like sharing a bedroom and a bed with three other people that you hate, who also hate you.

I have a betta sorority currently (4 females) and have been super stressed. I was thinking about removing them all and taking them back to the LFS. They just seem to never get along and there is always something wrong. I just don't know if they are worth keeping around with the stress they are implementing on each other and me.

Please reframe this. The fish aren't inflicting this stress on each other and on you. The fish had no choice in this matter, they're helpless and suffering as a result of your choices. You put them in there. They're not misbehaving, or trying to cause trouble, they're just trying to survive the situation they're in accordance with their natural behaviours.

I would take the females back and move the male over to the larger tank. OR this could be the perfect excuse for another tank!

I would return them, or keep one and return the rest. I wouldn't want to do a sorority with nothing less than 5 gallons per fish. From what I can tell, though, you want a minimum of 5 and always in odd numbers. So a minimum of 25-30 gallons.
Return the females, move the male to the 7gal if that one has a filter(?), add a filter to the 3.5g if you want to put a fish in it.

I can't wrap my head around putting four bettas in seven gallons of water. Must be like sharing a bedroom and a bed with three other people that you hate, who also hate you.
Okay- I told my mom this and she said she won't take them back... I don't want them to cause any harm to each other because two of them have fraying tails from the biting.

I thought because they were smaller fish they wouldn't need as much space. I was wrong, you live and you learn.

The 7g does have a filter in it but the 3.5g does not. I think Kevin would be happier in the 7g because it is cleaner and brighter.

But I still need help with the mom situation... she doesn't want to take them back.

Okay- I told my mom this and she said she won't take them back... I don't want them to cause any harm to each other because two of them have fraying tails from the biting.

I thought because they were smaller fish they wouldn't need as much space. I was wrong, you live and you learn.

The 7g does have a filter in it but the 3.5g does not. I think Kevin would be happier in the 7g because it is cleaner and brighter.

But I still need help with the mom situation... she doesn't want to take them back.
Post an add online for someone to take them. Explain to your mother that they are killing eachother so its important for them to be rehomed. Then move your male into the 7g that has the filter. Your male would certainly be happier with a filter and more swimming space. I'm assuming you have a heater too?

Are you able to get another, larger tank?
Post an add online for someone to take them.
That would also be a good choice

Post an add online for someone to take them. Explain to your mother that they are killing eachother so its important for them to be rehomed. Then move your male into the 7g that has the filter. Your male would certainly be happier with a filter and more swimming space. I'm assuming you have a heater too?
Yes it does have a heater. Their water stays at 78-79.

My main problem with her is she thinks nothing is wrong

Most reactions

Back