Need Help Dealing With New Tank Syndrome

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

newfishgirl

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Im very new to this hobby and am incredibly frustrated with the different answers I'm getting from multiple lfs's.
Here's my problems background:
I set up my tank 3-4 weeks ago the way the lovely ppl at the lfs said to do. I got a 10ga tank, bought the normal paraphernalia, filled it with water, conditioned of course, let the filter run for a week, and then went back to the store and asked the next step. Lfs said go ahead and get 3 new fish, they recommended danios, and a bottle of Nutrafin cycle. I went home, acclimated the fish put the cycle in along with some stress coat and looked at my awesome new tank.
That is, until one of my danios died a few days later. Okay, so I fugured that might happen given it's a new tank, plus the fish looked like it was very stressed from the transport.  I waited a couple days and noticed that one of the danios was bullying the other one.  Asked advice from friends who have tanks that said go get more fish.  So back to the lfs I went, although a different one this time. I asked them their advice and they agreed, more fish. So, 2 more danios, 2 tiger barbs and (please ignore my ignorance) a fiddler crab.  Then, one of my original danios died a day later (not the bully), the smaller barb died two days later, the crab died a week later.  Now I'm starting to get worried that something is wrong with my tank.  Back to the same lfs I went.  I had them test my water which they said was "fine".  Asked their advice yet again and was told that I'm dealing with new tank syndrome and that I should just get a couple of feeder fish, wait a week and go from there. So I did. The next morning, one of the goldfish were dead. One of my friends told me it was because my tank was too warm and goldfish don't like that. Huh!? Why didn't the girl at the store tell me that!? Now I'm beyond frustration. At this point I've read so many articles and forums about the issue I felt incredibly overwhelmed so I decided to go with my friend to her lfs which was different than the original two.  I brought them the other goldfish so he wouldn't have a death sentence in my nice warm tank and gave my friend my last barb. So, in my tank at this point is my original bullying zebra danio, a long fin danio and a leopard danio. I explained the scenario to them and they told me it was because my tank isn't done cycling yet, which by then I had figured out via the forums.  What to do? "Nothing!!!" What!? There was nothing I could do? "Well, if I were you, I'd try to get as much food off of the bottom which is probably causing a spike in your ammonia, wait a week, come back and we'll test your water." Then they told me to try Mollies or Platy's next.
That's it.
Okaaay...
So I did as he asked but it's only been 3 days and now that bully danio is at it again and the other two look like they aren't doing so hot. One just hides out behind the filter intake and won't eat, while the other one hides in the plants trying to get away from Mr. Bully danio.  I feel like a fish killer and I don't want any more fish to die because of my ignorance and bad advice from the lfs's.

Here's where you come in, please advice me with all your expertise!!
My pH is normal, my temp stays around 76 fairenheit, so far nothing else has been tested.  Oh, and everyone at the stores has advised me to not do any PWC's yet and to not buy the testing kits cuz it's a waste of money since they can do it for free.
Now that I've read so many things on different forums, this advice doesn't sound good. Shouldn't I be doing PCW's especially since I have the fish in there? Fish that don't look so hot on top of it.  Plus I know that danios should be kept in shoals of 6+ so I know that's not helping either.
First and foremost, should I bring the danios back and just do a fishless cycle or wait awhile longer since I'm almost a month into it?  Should I do a PCW? How often? Should I just go ahead and get the tests?
Please help!
Sorry for the massive story
smile.png

I'd return the fish, and fishless cycle.  NONE of the fish you mentioned in this post are recommended for a 10 gallon tank.

Here's a link to some fish for 10 gallon tanks.

When fish are kept in too small a tank, in too small a group, etc. you get more aggression. 

Get your own testing kit - the stores generally will try to sell you a product you don't need after testing the water for you.  Its not really a good idea to rely on the LFS for the test.  Besides, who wants to have to go to the LFS just for a water test, and then return home to do a PWC?  Nonesense!!!

Get a liquid test kit - API Master is a nice one.  Not perfect, but none of them are.  It comes with pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate - all the important stuff for a fishless cycle. 

Find yourself a bit of ammonia - no surfactants, perfumes, etc.  Depending on where you live this can be easy or hard.  Using some fish food (tiny bit) while you source the ammonia will help you. If you have  friend with a tank, ask for a bit of their filter media and add it to yours.  This will seed the bacteria you need.

return all the fish,

never listen to people at your LFS, most of them are mouth breathers who are killing time until mcdonalds will hire them,

get yourself a test kit and do your own testing, dont buy any more fish until your water tests are good, after you return the fish, vacuum your gravel, clean the filter, do a 50-75% water change, then leave it alone until the water test good, this may take 4-6 weeks

after the water tests good do some research and make sure you know EXACTLY what your buying and its suitable for your tank size, and compatibility with the other fish you wish to purchase,

add fish slowly, 2-3 every two weeks

your LFS is trying to sell you whatever they can, its a business, no offense but when they see somebody like yourself walk through the door, all they see is a big dollar sign with clothes on,

Absolutely shocking advice (but predictable) give by your LFS.

But, on the other hand why didn't you do a little research yourself BEFORE buying your new tank? I've only been keeping fish for around a year but like anything else I did my homework BEFORE buying anything. I always do research when taking up a new hobby, buying a car, getting a loan etc etc Which I sure you probably do with the majority of other things.

Agree with eagles and mostly with Mikey, but you should be able to continue on with the cycling process even though you take the fish back.

Go here to find out all about the cycling process. If you do go the fishless cycling route, once you have cycled your filter you can stock it fully.

Something to consider might be to get a bigger tank, which will give you so many more options when it comes to stocking it. Hang on to the 10g for your quarantine tank, or stock it with shrimp.

And, do indeed get yourself a liquid test kit with vials so you can monitor your water stats without having to depend on the LFS staffers who, in all fairness, are trying to get your money from you. The more fish you kill the more you'll buy from them. 

I had a fiddler crab for several months. Of course I did my research AFTER buying her, and set up a really nice crabitat along with some guppies. Then, the inevitable ... she went missing and I found her dried up little body a week later. 

You will have success! Just hang out with us and you'll have a happy aquarium in no time.

welcomeani.gif

Sadly I'm going to agree with the advice above. Although I would give slightly more credit to some shops that Mikey1 does, occasionally you do find a gem but they are sadly not as common as I'd like.

Mainly, yes do a water change, you'll have ammonia and possibly nitrite by now in your water and that's what is killing your fish, so do that soon and give them a break.

Ideally take them back and do a fishless cycle, it's a drag, but it's probably already been well started by the fish in that you've got going already, so whatever you do don't do nothing for any length of time or you'll lose what you've gained already.

Have a look through the threads on 10 gallon tank stocking you'll find on here, there are loads if you dig around it's a common tank size. Have a think about the fish and then post your plan, you'll generally then get suggestions and advice offered on the best options for you and often some advice that there's a potential problem in whatever you have in mind (we all make stocking mistakes at some point). That way when you are good to go you can get the tank you want planned out properly and have a great tank that stays that way.

Ideally get your own test kits. They're ideal for cycling tanks and to check up if you run into trouble later. There's nothing worse than something going wrong on a Sunday evening and not being able to test because the LFS is closed.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Thanks everyone for getting back to me so quickly. I'm thinking that I'm just going to take the fish back and continue cycling without hurting more fish. I'll be sure to check out those links and other threads. I actually did a bunch of research on starting an aquarium before buying the fish. I just assumed that the LFS knew what they were talking about. I have to admit that the cycling process was a bit confusing so I figured I'd rely on what my friends and the LFS ppl said. A mistake I won't make again that's for sure. I thought mollies and platies were too big for my tank so I'm glad you said so.
Thanks again, and any other pointers will be accepted :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back