April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Hopefully your fish will survive, if so you should look for a larger tank, glow light tetras need plenty of room to swim and are also shoaling fish that need at least 6 fish to shoal properly. They are also a soft water fish. I live where the water is moderately hard so I reduce the hardness with RO water to have a healthier environment for my tetras. I have a 55 gallon soft water tank where I keep my shoal of 14 glow light tetra along with several other shoals of tetra. You do not need a 55 gallon tank but a larger tank like a 20 gallon long would be much better for them.
I agree, a 20 gallon tank will be sufficient here.

Hopefully your fish will survive, if so you should look for a larger tank, glow light tetras need plenty of room to swim and are also shoaling fish that need at least 6 fish to shoal properly. They are also a soft water fish. I live where the water is moderately hard so I reduce the hardness with RO water to have a healthier environment for my tetras. I have a 55 gallon soft water tank where I keep my shoal of 14 glow light tetra along with several other shoals of tetra. You do not need a 55 gallon tank but a larger tank like a 20 gallon long would be much better for them.

Hopefully it will survive! I hope itā€™s not too late for it. Just changed the water and increased the temperature so Iā€™ll see how that effects things.

Also, a bigger tank would definitely be more beneficial for sure. I bought the 5.5 gallon tank after asking the local fish store worker for help. I was told I can fit 3 tetras in a 5.5 gallon, but I now know that it would be better to get 6+ fish and a bigger tank. I think part of the issue is that the store doesnā€™t have fish that are very healthy. Iā€™ve boughten multiple tetras from them, and it seems to me that itā€™s hit or miss if they survive or not!

Thanks again for all your help! Iā€™ve learned a lot today.

One thing just about all members on this forum agree on is never trust a LFS employee's information. We all have been burned at one time or another by bad advice. Most of them do not know what they are talking about and some just do not care. I have had my bad experience with them too. If things go bad I would suggest a Betta for your 5.5 gallon tank or shrimp/snails. Let's hope all turns out alright. Should you decide to get a larger tank and still like tetras I would wait until it is properly cycled and I would start with a hardier breed of tetra like a glow light or red eye tetra until your new tank is stabilized which can be several months. :oh: good luck.

One thing just about all members on this forum agree on is never trust a LFS employee's information. We all have been burned at one time or another by bad advice. Most of them do not know what they are talking about and some just do not care. I have had my bad experience with them too. If things go bad I would suggest a Betta for your 5.5 gallon tank or shrimp/snails. Let's hope all turns out alright. Should you decide to get a larger tank and still like tetras I would wait until it is properly cycled and I would start with a hardier breed of tetra like a glow light or red eye tetra until your new tank is stabilized which can be several months. :oh: good luck.

Noted! I think I learned that one the hard way as well, haha. I still have another tetra in the tank that is unaffected, so hopefully they will both make it. If only one makes it then I know I will have to upgrade, cycle the tank, and buy some more tetras as well. The tank water has been changed and treated as suggested, and the temperature has been raised. Itā€™s just a waiting game now! Depending on the outcome, I will definitely look into a Betta as Iā€™ve seemed to have the most success with them in the past. Thanks again! Itā€™s very appreciated.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back