Nano Bonsai Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Wells

Fish Fanatic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Gonna do a journal for this one as I think it will (hopefully, fingers crossed) be a worthwhile timelapse over 6-8 weeks.

WIll be attempting a dry start so hopefully, it works!

Been wanting to do one of these for a while now and have been looking online for a tank suitable for the last fortnight, and then came across this one on eBay with only a couple hours left on auction and collection in my area so nabbed it.

It is a 22L(5.8 US gallon) 30x30x30 nanocube, and the idea is to get a little bonsai in there so it sort of looks like a tree on the hill, with carpet plants all over for a field of green.

20200913_123107.jpg

20200913_123304.jpg

First job to do is to give it a good clean, the backing peeled off a treat which is great as I don't think black would have suited the naturistic vibe I have planned.
20200913_125056.jpg

Seems to be a good enough job after the cat has inspected.

Last edited:
Next up is the hardscape and the substrate.

I've gone for flora base pro, with some seachem flourish tabs crushed and sprinkled underneath for some added nutrients.

Then, dragonstone and a little bonsai premade from LFS.

20200913_131217.jpg

20200913_131712.jpg

This is my first draft of hardscape, will have a little play over next few days, maybe grab some more smaller rocks and see how it goes.

20200913_131733.jpg

Looking really good :) What about adding even more height under the tree to make it more dramatic? If you could build your height up with the rocks you could use stem plants as a type of carpet some kind of Rotala with small leaves could look cool - the tree would look like it was on a mountain above a forest?

What kind of fish are you thinking in here?

Looking really good :) What about adding even more height under the tree to make it more dramatic? If you could build your height up with the rocks you could use stem plants as a type of carpet some kind of Rotala with small leaves could look cool - the tree would look like it was on a mountain above a forest?

What kind of fish are you thinking in here?

Great minds think alike, the person I bought it off had a bag of black gravel that I thought I would throw, I've just finished chucking it underneath the soil to get a bit more height out of it.

16000017212424567990182002024566.jpg

I may need some more rocks to make a pre bank effect with the other 2.

Plantwise I'm going with Monte carlo, some anubias nano and maybe some crypts and then just a moss on the tree.
Unfortunately, I don't have one ultimate fish shop so will be going to another to get the plants, hopefully, today I will have some progress on them.

Fish wise, honestly I'm not even sure if I'll have fish, a betta would probably look great but unsure if it's the best environment for one, maybe just get some shrimp in there?

Last edited:
You should take a look at Aquapros' Ancient Garden 167 tank, it's amazing, but channels what you're doing there. Your tank will look so lovely!

You should get some Rotala Bonsai in here haha!

Not sure on Monte Carlo without Co2, it can be done but can be a bit touch and go. What about Crypto Parva instead?

You should get some Rotala Bonsai in here haha!

Not sure on Monte Carlo without Co2, it can be done but can be a bit touch and go. What about Crypto Parva instead?

Im going to be attempting dry start method to get the carpet filled out with Monte carlo, do you think it would die off without continued co2 once its been flooded?

Looks awesome so far! (Love the cat, lol)

What do you plan to use for the “leaves” on the tree?

Edit: Never mind, just saw where you said “Java Moss” for the leaves. ;)

You should take a look at Aquapros' Ancient Garden 167 tank, it's amazing, but channels what you're doing there. Your tank will look so lovely!

Oh wow, now I'm envious I only have a 22l! That is impressive, one day hopefully I'll have the space to attempt such an epic scape.

Looks awesome so far! (Love the cat, lol)

What do you plan to use for the “leaves” on the tree?

Edit: Never mind, just saw where you said “Java Moss” for the leaves. ;)
Some form of moss either glued or strung onto the branches to try look realistic, I did think about breaking up moss balls but don't think I'll get the desired effect from them.

Im going to be attempting dry start method to get the carpet filled out with Monte carlo, do you think it would die off without continued co2 once its been flooded?

I think its worth a try, you will need to get your liquid fertiliser right and also the lighting could probably do to be a bit higher than regular.

Wills

I'm gonna leave it at this for today, ended up going back to shop to get some smaller rocks, opinions welcome im unsure if it detracts from the focal point of the tree.

Idea is I could plant some more bushy plants on the in between to try and achieve the tree/mountain look that was suggested.

20200913_155047.jpg

Tree is currently submerged in a bucket, don't want that floating away.

Picked up some plants, will most likely need more but this will do for now, unsure when ill get round to planting yet.
20200913_153950.jpg

We have 2 small crypts, a nano nubias, 3 monte Carlo and a nice chunk of fern.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back